Setup my first node on Unraid, some questions

Hi, a bit late to the game, had a spare 6Tb drive that i wasnt using and have a unraid server that is on 24/7 so thought i might as well try this. Have set the 6Tb in unassigned devices and setup a docker to use it.

have got it working and its currently collecting data

I have some questions:

1. Does it still do some vetting? if so, for how long? how would I know when it is done?
  2. Once this node is set up and working, i plan to add another drive to Unraid and create another docker for node nunber 2. i assume I have to do the whole indentity process again? i cant use the same indentify files as node1?

EDIT: found the answer for this :smile:

Each node must have its own generated unique identity signed with a new authorization token. Using a copy of the same identity but different tokens will result in disqualification as it is the same identity but with missing data.

1. Is zkSync now the preferred method of payment? im using Eth right now, from Trust Wallet app
  2. any best practices to follow?
  3. Does Storj keep the hard drive spun at all times? or are there times of inactivity allowing the drive to spin down when not in use?
  4. when setting up another node, i am right in saying i will need to use another DDNS address? or same addess but different port to point to second node on the same box?

Thanks.

Hi, and welcome!

Vetting is still a thing if that’s what you mean.
It usually takes a few weeks for a node to get vetted. There is no official way to know when it’s done, but @brightsilence’s excellent tool can be used to show vetting progress (among other things):

Kind of. Using ETH is fine but costs more to StorjLabs. For SNOs, the main difference is that there is a minimum amount threshold to be reached when getting paid in ETH (which changes every month, depending on ETH’s fees), which doesn’t apply to zkSync. Also so far, getting paid via zkSync grants you an extra 10% payment.

Nodes don’t do anything in particular to keep HDDs active. That said, even though a node’s disk can spin down from time to time when the node is brand new, the more data it gets, the more the disk gets used, so it quickly stays ON 24/7.

Both approach sound valid to me.
What’s important to note is that all nodes behind a /24 subnet are treated as a big single node by the Storj network.
Which means that if you have several nodes on the same IP, or on several IPs that share the same /24 subnet, they will all share ingress.

Hard to answer that, this forum is full of info, good practices, experience and tools ^^ Go explore :slight_smile:

For me, the first thing to set up is a tool monitoring your node’s port, so you’re notified when it gets offline. A popular tool for that is uptimerobot.

2 Likes

Many thanks, yep have setup uptimebot already.

How soon after setting up the first node shall I setup the second? Probably better to wait for node 1 to be fully vetted

Hello @Antec1234,
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, it’s better to wait until the first node would be almost full or at least vetted, then you can start another one, otherwise the vetting process could take longer in two times for both nodes.

3 Likes

Thanks for the answers!

In regards to disk allocation. Would a 6tb node and 10tb node (at different locations) get paid the same? Or similar.

Does the allocation play a part in the calculations or is just the disk space used.

So 6tb and 10tb nodes would be the same up until filled to 6tb? Then the 10tb continues on

You can use this Community Estimator to get an idea how long it may take to fill up all free space and how much you may earn:

1 Like

More or less, yes, as long as your nodes aren’t on the same /24 subnet and if there are no other nodes in there respective /24 subnet.

That said, they still may perform slightly differently depending on the hardware they’re installed on, the ISP, … and so on.

1 Like