Sharing Space for Fun and Profit—Part 2

3 Likes

Great article.

The potential changes to the held amount are interesting. How node operators are advised to run nodes (without redundancy) does of course mean that we EXPECT the node to fail ungracefully at some point due to hardware failure. Ive personally come to accept this from my nodes with the expectation that the HDDs/equipment I use will last around 5> years and therefore the held amount lost is negligible. Since I also host multiple independent nodes the failure of a single node would not significantly impact my revenue. Thats my business model anyway…I may also benefit from repair activities on my remaining healthy nodes.

I’m not sure the linked community post for the earnings calculator was the correct one? My understanding that the one linked, only estimates payouts which are actually going to happen rather than allow the user to input figures and play with potential earnings (and you already have to have setup a node). This already happens in the node dashboard and is planned for the MND? I believe there is another community post which uses a google sheet that does this? I’m assuming that was the post you intended to link to? I also would welcome Storj to bring back an updated earnings calculator which is more user friendly. Potential new node operators will need this.

3 Likes

popping in to add a couple links. @will.topping I think you may be referring to

and

Thanks @Jocelyn yes it was the 2nd link I was thinking of! Great minds!

1 Like

Really interesting blog post, thank you for sharing!

1 Like