[SOLVED] QUIC Suddenly not working

I’ve got a strange issue going on with QUIC. I’ve had it all running fine, and recently I noticed it is now listed as misconfigured.

First I used the connect-test go program from Storj. I ran it from my laptop (so on same network as Storj node). I xxxxx out the end of the ID, not sure if that is something that is ok to share or not.

macbookair:storj user$ go run ./cmd/tools/connect-test 10.100.1.31:28967
QUIC success 1CiX9mvbUkhwv4aEkghE4tDUXBbzkxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
TCP success 1CiX9mvbUkhwv4aEkghE4tDUXBbzkxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So this at least tells me my node is still running, and UDP 28967 is working.

Next, I connected my laptop to another network outside my network, and hit my public IP:

macbookair:storj kupan787$ go run ./cmd/tools/connect-test 76.15X.XX.XX:28967
QUIC fail quic: timeout: no recent network activity
TCP success 1CiX9mvbUkhwv4aEkghE4tDUXBbzkxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ok, so it looks like maybe a router issue with port forwarding.

I checked my router, and the same rule that is setup is for both TCP and UDP:

TCP is obviously working, as my node shows as Online and the connect-test passes for TCP in both cases. I’m at a loss why UDP is not passing through. I’ve checked other rules I have that pass UDP, and those rules are working fine. I’m not sure if there is anything else to check, or if it seems like I am at least heading down the right track.

Open Port Check Tool - Test Port Forwarding on Your Router check this link and it will give more info- if its really opened or not

also try to create 2 rules- one for tcp and another for udp port. also try different destination and translation ports (do not forget to change it in config file and restart your node)+ check version of running software

Is it possible to set QUIC/UDP to use a different port from TCP in storj? Or if I try changing the port, is there only one setting which controls both TCP and UDP?

I believe that only checks TCP and not UDP. It just returns that my port is open.

Pingdom will try both TCP and QUIC

Have you tried restarting things? I’ve had this happen from time to time for seemingly no reason. Sometimes it’s just a matter of restarting the node.

I tried restarting, and I see this in the logs:

2023-02-22T22:45:12.906Z	WARN	contact:service	Your node is still considered to be online but encountered an error.	{"Process": "storagenode", "Satellite ID": "1wFTAgs9DP5RSnCqKV1eLf6N9wtk4EAtmN5DpSxcs8EjT69tGE", "Error": "contact: failed to ping storage node using QUIC, your node indicated error code: 0, rpc: quic: timeout: no recent network activity"}
2023-02-22T22:45:13.182Z	WARN	contact:service	Your node is still considered to be online but encountered an error.	{"Process": "storagenode", "Satellite ID": "12EayRS2V1kEsWESU9QMRseFhdxYxKicsiFmxrsLZHeLUtdps3S", "Error": "contact: failed to ping storage node using QUIC, your node indicated error code: 0, rpc: quic: timeout: no recent network activity"}
2023-02-22T22:45:13.257Z	WARN	contact:service	Your node is still considered to be online but encountered an error.	{"Process": "storagenode", "Satellite ID": "12tRQrMTWUWwzwGh18i7Fqs67kmdhH9t6aToeiwbo5mfS2rUmo", "Error": "contact: failed to ping storage node using QUIC, your node indicated error code: 0, rpc: quic: timeout: no recent network activity"}
2023-02-22T22:45:13.753Z	WARN	contact:service	Your node is still considered to be online but encountered an error.	{"Process": "storagenode", "Satellite ID": "12L9ZFwhzVpuEKMUNUqkaTLGzwY9G24tbiigLiXpmZWKwmcNDDs", "Error": "contact: failed to ping storage node using QUIC, your node indicated error code: 0, rpc: quic: timeout: no recent network activity"}
2023-02-22T22:45:13.886Z	WARN	contact:service	Your node is still considered to be online but encountered an error.	{"Process": "storagenode", "Satellite ID": "121RTSDpyNZVcEU84Ticf2L1ntiuUimbWgfATz21tuvgk3vzoA6", "Error": "contact: failed to ping storage node using QUIC, your node indicated error code: 0, rpc: quic: timeout: no recent network activity"}
2023-02-22T22:45:13.887Z	WARN	contact:service	Your node is still considered to be online but encountered an error.	{"Process": "storagenode", "Satellite ID": "12rfG3sh9NCWiX3ivPjq2HtdLmbqCrvHVEzJubnzFzosMuawymB", "Error": "contact: failed to ping storage node using QUIC, your node indicated error code: 0, rpc: quic: timeout: no recent network activity"}

I’m assuming this isn’t saying anything new. I’m going to try changing ports, and see if that works.

I figured it out!

I was doing some changes, and was setting up a new Xbox. I had moved those rules above my Storj Node rules, and I messed up the Xbox rules and forgot to translate one of the UDP ports…so it was taking everything!

I just moved the Storj rules to the top, and fixed the Xbox ones. All good now.

3 Likes