Some newbie Debian vs Supermicro issues

Got the server rack with SAS-836TQ Backplane, all the cables attached.
The hardware of the rack runs on Debian.
I’ve put the hard disk in the rack and it initialized in BIOS but I don’t see the HDD in /dev/ after Debian starts.
What should I do in this case?
(except the fleeing in terror).

What is the motherboard? Are you connecting the backplane to SATA/SAS ports of the mother board or are you using a HBA? If so, what is the HBA?

Hardware raid? im sure it has a hardware raid which is why you dont see it. Or many other reasons that maybe it doesnt work with sata drives.

Mother board: Supermicro MBD-H11DSI-O
the connection between mother board and Backplane via internal CPU1-SATA0-3 plug on mother board with firware cable.

Ok - thanks, I’ve got your idea.
Looks like I need to attach the disk to SATA connector on M/B or connect via HBA controller.
Thanks!

I use that backplane on a SuperMicro chassis without a problem, however I use a SATA HBA to connect to the backplane as a passthrough. My motherboard is a X8SAX and I do not use RAID but each drive is on its own as its own node.

I’ve got SATA/SAS HBA controller but try to simplify the spec for now.
There is 16 slots on these server case and it overwhelming the quantity of my disks.

I connect each HBA SATA cable to one of the four backplane I2C Connectors - 2. JP37/JP95/JP52/JP96

See User Guide

Is it possible to use with straight connection of a backplane to motherboard via SATA cable without I2C connection?

It should work without the I2C connection.
Also, the problem you might not be seeing the drive is because you might have used sas drive, and you had it connected to the sata port on your motherboard.

I recommend getting a asr-71605 card which will give you 16 port to plug in your backplane. You will also need 4 SFF8643 cable to sata cable.

I’ve got a 71605 card, but with 4 ext. ports.
Have thought to attach Supermicro JBOD shelf that I’m already have, but no need that much disk connections for now. Wish to make the architecture simpler.
Think to get 71605 with int.ports but faster way to get in hands is expensive cause I’m living in Russia. So need to purchase and wait a month or two for reasonable price.

I’ve driven to host location and checked physically the server.
The funny thing is that I’ve pulled out the disk from the shelf previously, time passed and I forgot about it.
So the system seeing it and I can continue my experiment with migration from Windows to Linux.

2 Likes

Do I need to get Adaptec Flash Module AFM-700 for asr-71605 which would work in HBA mode.
Or this memory cache expander works in RAID only?

Flash module will have zero benefits if you are using it in his mode.
It benefits hardware raid.

1 Like

Thank you
You are just saved me about 20$.

I’m noticed is some error when controller starts:

It is 71605 controller with ext. ports that I’m already have.
Tried to start it and get the error.
What could it be?

The card supports encryption, but for that you need to buy the key separately. If you do not need encryption, you should be able to use the card as is.

1 Like

the encryption option switches off in configuration utility (ctrl+A)?
I’ve got this controller used and never starts up until now.

I don’t know, maybe. I just read about the encryption in the datasheet.

I’ve got mounted 8TB HDD with ext4 file system and in the end I’ve got 6,9TB of empty space:
2022-11-23_15-37-33

Seems like I have used this command:
mkfs.ext4 -t ext4 -L storagenode6 -cc /dev/sda1

In the beginning the disk itself initialized as:
2022-11-23_15-47-03

So looks like that filesystem creation eats about 300GB.

Is it possible to expand partition somehow or create the same filesystem with different parameters?
Or it’s normal practice that way?