Some questions for a noob

Hey !

I have a question !? What is a best

2 NAS 2x12 or 1 NAS 1x24 ? Why ?!

If i migrate my NAS one day, I lose the karma earn its last months?

Thx :slight_smile:

Hi!

Your 2 scenarios are not very clear to me:

• By “2 NAS 2x12”, do you mean that you’ll have 48TiB in total (2x12 TiB on each NAS = 24x2 = 48 TiB)?
  • Are those 2 NAS behind the same IP?
  • In your “2 NAS 2x12”, assuming that you’ll have 2 disks on each NAS, it is recommended to have one node per disk. Is that what you plan to do?

One thing you must have in mind is that if your nodes are behing the same IP, the ingress bandwidth will be shared between all of your running nodes. So basically, and without more details on your constraints, you would have 2 options:

1. Fill each node one after the other. This way, your first node will get full quicker and other disks won’t wear out.
  2. Set up all of your nodes at the same time (i.e. all of your disks will be offered to Storj network). This way, each node will start the vetting process and start to get older. This means all of your nodes will pass the “held amount period” faster (It doesn’t mean that you won’t have to wait 10 months to get 100% of your earnings, it just means that after 10 months, all of your nodes will make you get 100% of your earnings).

With more details on your 2 scenarios, I will be able to elaborate a little bit :slight_smile:

Not sure to understand your question.
I suppose you are asking if you will lose your held amount if you move to a new place.
Technically: No.
In real life: Probably in a near future. Since your moving will require several hours of downtime, this downtime may have a huge impact on your availability score and may disqualify you (this feature is not enabled yet but it could be in the next weeks or months…).

1 Like

I'm sorry, but karma!!!!!!! roflmao

Regarding the question; it would make more sense to compare 1 NAS 2x12 to 2 NAS 1x12, otherwise this is a difference of 1 vs 2 systems as well as the structure. I wouldn’t suggest 1x24 array, it’s way too large. IMO go with smaller arrays and combine them. Use 2 NASes if you need a backup.

@jeremyfritzen I think he meant the number of disks, but I also do not understand the post fully so no idea.

What exactly is best… other than a conceptual idea in our minds which seemingly cannot exist in reality…

that being said, technology is continually evolving, so i might be prone to buying the 12bay version rather than the 24 bay version… simply because before you filled it, then there will be something that is so much better and then your next 12 bay one will be new tech.

ofc you will have some amount of overhead saving on running 1 x 24 bay NAS because when its filled you do use less hardware to run more disks and thus save power …

ofc a 24 bay NAS filled with 24x20TB HDD’s will be 480TB costing atleast 20$ pr TB so thats like 10000$ in HDD’s to utilize it to its potential.
these kinds of costs makes the power cost, and even the cost of the NAS and power usage of the NAS pretty irrelevant, the main costs for the first 5 years is the HDD’s

at which point their capacity will be technologically outdated.

another thing to note is that raid arrays is only allowed to hold 1 storagenode, and on top of that raid arrays does not have better IOPS than that of a SINGLE HDD.
in case you are thinking of going that route, the recommended solution is 1 storagenode pr hdd, tho if you have a lot of old hdd’s of the same type, you can run 1 storagenode on say 10 x 2TB hdd’s in a raid and thus get something like 16TB of useful space … assuming a raid6 setup.
thus less nodes to keep track of… which is nice

There are advantages to having both setups… but it’s pretty costly… keep in mind to let atleast 1 bay be free so you easily can replace drives without having to remove the failing drive, also works great if you need to move big amount of data off a high capacity storage setup, depending on what kind of network setup you have.

no you do not lose the “karma”, node migrations are quite common place and can “easily” be done, a node or SNO doesn’t suffer any penalties for doing node migrations.
only thing to keep in mind is that storagenodes holds millions of files and it’s a pretty tall task to move them on current HDD technology… takes about a day pr 1-3TB of storagenode (YMMW)

Woah… :smiley:

Hard to know what will be decided in the future with regards to authorized downtime, but from recent posts, it’s pretty clear to me that we would be allowed several days of downtime before DQ.
Don’t take my words for it, nothing has been decided yet AFAIK, but that’s how I feel about it.

@Aimflo Unless your nodes are pretty old and are holding lots of data already, filling up 24TB is going to take years.

If you’re starting with Storj, maybe you should start with one or two small nodes to see how it works and goes. You can expand them and/or more nodes later if need be.

If you’re pretty used to it, well then my 2 cts would simply be that 2 NAS is a little bit safer because if one would fail and stop, the other would still be running. The downside however would be that it would draw more power, so it’s probably going to cost more in electricity.

1 Like