SSD with Identity Crashed

Hello everyone,

Has anyone ever tried restoring an SSD? Looks like my Identity was there and a year of farming went to s**t… I still have all the STORJ data but can’t run the node with my old Identity. Anyone had something similar?

i think you might be out of luck unless if you can’t somehow recover your identify files…
you where suppose to keep a backup of them, as told in the install guide…
if you got that, then i suppose you wouldn’t be asking… but had to mention it…

from my understanding SSD’s should fail gracefully… but ofc that requires you being able to actually tell when the disk starts to return bad data… it should start loosing capacity first… but in extreme cases if you fill the ssd beyond the 80% mark, then you can destroy the drive in weeks or months from wear… even heard some people claim days… but seems unlikely…

recovering data from a drive is best done when the disk is removed and attached to a working OS with some sort of proper data recovery tool that can scan for, list and recover files…

i’ve had good luck with using EaseUS software, tho haven’t tried it on SSD’s
but it would surprise me if they don’t suppose ssd’s… tho if the drive is dead dead… then getting data from it seems very unlikely… since it’s most likely the chips or circuitry thats burned out due to overheating or overloading of the NAND chips.

always make sure your SSD has ample room to work on … some SSD will have that taken care off so you don’t have to, but i usually used a maximum 80% of max capacity utilized and the remaining being unpartitioned, and really to ensure long life and endurance of the ssd, 66-75% is my preference…
sad to have to not use that much space… but better than having the drive die to fast…

In the current situation if you do not have a backup of the current identity (even unsigned), then your node is lost.

1 Like

Well… think it could’ve been shorted or something like that. The PC has been accidentally unplugged from power and I wasn’t able to start it after :frowning: BIOS can see it as a 20.9 GB drive, HP Recovery Utility does see it with a weird serial number but the SSD doesn’t show up in Windows. Tried EaseUS but it doesn’t seem to recognize it either…

These seem to be the only files I have…

Unfortunately it’s not enough. You need both - the identity and data…
This is one of the reasons why we suggesting to move the identity to the disk with data. If disk with data is gone, then there is no point in having the identity for this data and vice versa.

Oh, just searched my email and found it :slight_smile: How do I restore?Screenshot (2)

1 Like

Create a folder on the disk with data and restore those files to there.
In your storagenode setup point to that folder.
In case of Windows GUI there is two options in the config.yaml:

# path to the certificate chain for this identity
identity.cert-path: X:\storagenode\identity/identity.cert
# path to the private key for this identity
identity.key-path: X:\storagenode\identity/identity.key

Replace the X:\storagenode\identity to your new path to the identity

1 Like

Must have done something wrong… showing offline

Ah, forgot to mention my SSD went bananas while I was overseas for some time… I seem to be suspended 100% on all the nodes. Does it make sense to continue this one?

well you have everything to gain, if you plan on running storagenodes in the future, not taking this opportunity to attempt to make it work might come back and bit you in the arse later…

how long has it been down?
anything less than maybe 4 weeks and i don’t think it’s to much of a problem… if its been down for months… well i’m not sure many people know… in theory there isn’t to much in the way for most of a long term node like that being restored back to life…

tho keep in mind long term DT DQ is disabled atm… so in the future a dead node like this one might not come back to life… but in theory if you had a node that was 3 months old then it would just spring back to life… in theory

only you can answer if it makes sense to continue… whats the reward… does it have 50$ held or does it have 400$

thats really imo whats important, and ofc if you can reuse a node you save the 9months to get to 100% payout… which is also worth a lot

the satellites might delete a good bit of the data, but again i don’t think there is much knowledge about how long term nodes react when reconnecting to the network… i know some node have been down for a month without issues…

ofc the identity files has to be for the node you are trying to restore… and ofc you will need to make sure that everything has been set up correctly again…

but so long as the data folder is good and you have the identify it shouldn’t be a big problem to get it running.

did you have anything else running on the SSD related to the node… like say the fairly new feature of being able to run the database of that… then you might need to go through some steps for database recovery, i’m not to well versed in node repair…

a good first step to trouble shooting is to post the logs of your node when it’s attempting to log on… remember to remove what you consider private data, tho i don’t think the logs have any critical private data, so removing anything is really just if one likes to go the extra mile, since this is a public forum essentially.

What is your logs says?

If it’s a right identity, your node will went out from any suspension (if were) after a few successful audits.
Also it’s worth to check the local IP of your PC, it could changed and update the port forwarding rule on your router accordingly.
I believe you should make the local IP static either via router (in the DHCP section) or on your PC in the network interface settings for TCP.

1 Like