Storage Node Setup Instructions

Learn to set up a Windows node to become a Storj storage node operator (“SNO”), with with Knowledge. The tutorial for a complete setup is recorded in realtime, and easy to follow. At the end of the video, we’ll have a fully working node. When done correctly, the setup wizard also turns on the node and installs the dashboard and an optional auto-updater. If you encounter issues, help is available on the community

0:00 Intro
2:10 Requirements (disk space and bandwidth)
3:20 Auth Token
4:55 Power supply
6:06 Security considerations
7:30 Port forwarding (static and dynamic IPs, hostname and NoIP)
13:24 Opening TCP port :28967
13:50 Windows firewall (run as a Powershell administrator)
16:00 Download and backup the Identity Binary
19:34 Create an identity
23:24 Authorize the identity
25:12 Select your installation (GUI Install for Windows)
26:15 Download Windows MSI installer
28:08 Enter payout address (operator information)
32:45 Enter IP address with port:
33:27 Select destination folder
34:00 Storage configuration - allocate disk space
35:58 Install Storj V3 Storage Node with setup wizard
36:22 View the dashboard with Storage Node Stats
36:50 Vetting of nodes
38:00 How do I know my node is running?
39:30 What if I have problems?
40:00 How can I access my dashboard?
40:39 Where can I find FAQs in the documentation knowledgebase?
41:10 How do I check my logs?
42:30 What if I have a slow device?
43:10 What if I am seeing errrors?

Hi People,
I’m new here, so please just let me know If I make something wrong.
I’m looking for a detail of the configuration: the parameter -e STORAGE=“2TB” \ can be specified in GB? if yes what is the correct syntax?

I cannot find enywhere this info, nor if the TB for the storagenode is 1000GB or 1024GB,
this difference can look like insignificant but when it is needed to make optimization in a big node this numbers can make a noticeable difference.

Thank you very much for the collaboration

Hi sonic1k,

Welcome to the forums. The storage parameter can be specified in MB, GB, or TB (possibly KB and bytes as well, but wouldn’t be that useful). Storj uses whichever units you specify. So using GB would specify in decimal Gigabytes (1000 MB), and using GiB would specify in binary Gibibytes (1024 MB).

Also worth noting that the official documentation can be found at https://documentation.storj.io/ , which is more actively updated when changes are required to run commands/parameters/etc. I would check there to make sure all of the commands you are using are the latest recommended by Storj.

1 Like

@jocelyn Your posts in this thread are a bit out of date with the documentation page. Can they be updated? Or to avoid this post becoming out of date, perhaps it would be better to just link to the documentation page?

2 Likes

@baker great idea! The Documentation page is https://documentation.storj.io

1 Like