Storagenode on FreeNAS

Hi!
Can I ask someone how storagenode will be implemented on FreeNAS? (via Jail or VM?)

I Interested it because I spend a lot of time for testing it on FreeNAS and would like help with implementation and share unresolved issues and recommendations.

1 Like

I think it would be a binary

Thanks @Alexey!
It very good news, because VM based on bhyve (hypervison on FreeNAS) have a lot of network issues that I can’t resolved (virtio driver issues, ubuntu network stack issues, debian uefi issue after instalation etc.) that was main reason why I not public manual "how to install storagenode v3 on FreeNAS " it would be an unstable solution for SNO.
So, if it will be binary, it will be working fine on FreeNAS Jail, we already have manual but for test v3 network. This implementation will have no issues.

It is great news to hear FreeNAS will be supported!

Hi Folk

are there any new news about the FreeNAS support?
Have a much more powerful HP Server and might will change from my Synology on HP with FreeNAS if it runs fine.

Anyone actually run on FreeNAS?

You will see it in the

Announcements - Storj Community Forum (official) and in the Topics tagged official-changelog

The same way as blog Storage Nodes Are Now Supported on Windows Home

1 Like

I’m wanting to set up a node and the FAQ suggests not using a mounted NAS drive.
My NAS is pretty well setup so thinking the best solution is to put the node right on the NAS.
This thread seems a bit old/abandoned, did a solution ever come out for FreeNAS/TrueNAS?
(I’ve been checking the announcement/blog and couldn’t find FreeNAS being announced, maybe I missed it?)

We do not have specific application for FreeNAS and third party developers did not offer it too.
Since it’s a freeBSD-based, you can use freeBSD binaries from the Release v1.24.4 · storj/storj · GitHub and configure it manually.
You can also take a look on this category: Topics tagged freebsd

The solution was never offered, it works on FreeNAS with FreeBSD binary, but you have to set everything up manually. You can look up some of the old threads with my name if you have any issues, Alexey helped me get it running and I had a bunch of problems. The end solution I used is running it in a jail with a mountpoint. The process is FAR from the Windows intallation experience.

We did work on GitHub - storj-thirdparty/freenas-storagenode-app: FreeNAS application providing packaging to Storj storagenode tools and tested internally, however it was never really advertised.

As the code has been out there a bit, it comes with no warranty, though some people are using it apparently.

3 Likes

I can confirm, it works fine on FreeBSD and FreeNAS/TrueNAS. I used it on one location with TrueNAS for more than half of the year and it working fine.

2 Likes

Hello Jocelyn,

I tried to install on TrueNAS 12.0 (x64) but I get an error, something is missing?
I fellow “manual instruction”

Thanks for your help :wink:

"root@truenas[~]# iocage fetch -P /tmp/Storjstoragenode.jsonPlugin: Storjstoragenode
  Official Plugin: False
  Using RELEASE: 11.3-RELEASE
  Using Branch: 12.2-RELEASE
  Post-install Artifact: https://github.com/utropicmedia/storj-freenas
  These pkgs will be installed:
    - shells/bash
    - devel/git
    - www/nginx
    - lang/php72
    - ftp/php72-curl
    - security/php72-filter
    - devel/php72-json
    - www/php72-session
    - archivers/php72-zip

Testing Host DNS response to pkg.FreeBSD.org
Testing Storjstoragenode_1's SRV response to pkg.FreeBSD.org
Testing Storjstoragenode_1's DNSSEC response to pkg.FreeBSD.org

Installing plugin packages:
  - shells/bash...
  - devel/git...
  - www/nginx...
  - lang/php72...
    - lang/php72 failed to install, retry #1
    - lang/php72 failed to install, retry #2
    - lang/php72 failed to install, retry #3
  - ftp/php72-curl...
    - ftp/php72-curl failed to install, retry #1
    - ftp/php72-curl failed to install, retry #2
    - ftp/php72-curl failed to install, retry #3
  - security/php72-filter...
    - security/php72-filter failed to install, retry #1
    - security/php72-filter failed to install, retry #2
    - security/php72-filter failed to install, retry #3
  - devel/php72-json...
    - devel/php72-json failed to install, retry #1
    - devel/php72-json failed to install, retry #2
    - devel/php72-json failed to install, retry #3
  - www/php72-session...
    - www/php72-session failed to install, retry #1
    - www/php72-session failed to install, retry #2
    - www/php72-session failed to install, retry #3
  - archivers/php72-zip...
    - archivers/php72-zip failed to install, retry #1
    - archivers/php72-zip failed to install, retry #2
    - archivers/php72-zip failed to install, retry #3

pkg error:
  - lang/php72 :,ftp/php72-curl :,security/php72-fil"

Hi Dude!

I think you should look into the description of this plugin:

1. This plugin is not maintaining by StorjLabs
  2. “This plugin is developed for FreeNAS 11.x.” but you are using 12.2
  3. Please open the issue on the right place
2 Likes

Hello 0dmin,

Thank you for your reply, sorry for confusion, wellI thought it was TrueNAS (for me begin to v12.0) compatible when I read your reply, also I tested under FreeNAS 11.3 and same problem

0dmin
I can confirm, it works fine on FreeBSD and FreeNAS/TrueNAS. I used it on one location with TrueNAS for more than half of the year and it working fine.

Can you help me to install on Freenas or TrueNAS, do you know any guideline ?

Thank you

1 Like

Hello 0dmin,

I try to fellow your steps tutorial here " Getting started with Storj V3 on FreeNAS (freeBSD)" but I have an error also on Freenas v11.2 (U8).

Installation Storj on Freenas v11.2 x64 U8 - error - Developer Discussions / troubleshooting - Storj Labs Community Forum

Hi @bbr

I see @Alexey already replied to you, and provide recommendation how you can run it. Just use this binary, create iocage container, and put this binary in the container. I did not have a step-by-step guide.

1 Like