Storj bucket geofencing

I’m wanting to test bucket geofencing but I can’t see how it’s enabled during or after the bucket creation process and there are no articles in the docs explaining it but the website says its an option under Product > Geofencing.

Am I missing something?

1 Like

Please submit a Geofencing request form - this feature is only available via special request and needs to be approved by Storj, we cannot offer geofencing for regions were we don´t have a sufficient number of active nodes available to support it. Thanks for your understanding.

5 Likes

Out of curiosity, what regions were requested for and you had to deny so far? Maybe that knowledge would help getting more SNOs in those regions.

The ones I know of were requests for the United Kingdom and India.

2 Likes

According to http://storjnet.info/ there are 26 nodes in India and 828 in United Kingdom.
Compared to 2864 nodes in Germany, 2674 nodes in France, 2182 nodes in the United States and 1971 in Russia.

What number are considered sufficient for successful geofencing?

There is not a fixed threshold right now for number of nodes, the team evaluates each geofencing request on a case by case basis. However, I think it is obvious that we do need more nodes in India (and many other parts of Asia.)

You should investigate why there are so few nodes reported from India. This does not make sense.
I am looking at the France and Germany figures with quite some interest, because alone that is more that 5000 nodes or almost 1 third of all nodes altogether. This should help use cases where GDPR compliancy is a must and could be marketed as such.

It would probably be more interesting to look how many separate /24 blocks for consumer networks are in different regions, and how many of them are already in use by nodes. India was late to the Internet, so I suspect there’s a lot of CGNAT there. This table is useful, looks like there’s only 28 IP addresses per 1000 people in India, compared to thousands for Germany, France and USA.

That’s why I think it should be investigated. I mean it could be crucial for the Storj business model to understand why there is such a lack of nodes in the Asia region and what could be done about it. A lack of ip addresses to run a sufficient number of nodes in those countries could be a real problem.