Storj DCS account inactive limit

Hello, I am trying out Storj DCS storage for backups. I roughly backup once a month, and only use CLI. Is there any inbuilt limit for deletion of inactive accounts?

Hello @whyred,
Welcome to the forum!

There is no time limits for inactive account.

If you mean the possibility to expire your data, then yes - you can use the --expires option for uplink cp command.
You can also use restic for backups.

Also depending on how large your backup is, i.e. if it exceeds the free allowance, then if the bill doesn’t get paid the data could be deleted.

• If a credit card expires, a user will receive a notification to the registered email on the account, however, if a new payment method is not added within a reasonable amount of time, we reserve the right to reclaim the available storage and bandwidth, reset usage limits to zero and delete any data stored on the account pursuant to our data retention policy.
1 Like

There should be a way to set a limit on the space and bandwidth, so that there are no surprises. Someone may want to keep within the limit of the free tier, someone may want to keep the bull under a certain amount and if one bug in my script (uploading/downloading too more data than I intended, not deleting old backups etc) can generate a large bill it could be a problem.

Yes, you can set limits on PRO account: Manage Projects | Storj Docs
On free tier this feature is not available, you cannot use more than a free tier anyway.

1 Like

Hey, I am new to Storj, I just have a question, how long will my data be kept for until it gets deleted? The only post I can find is from reddit saying 90 days, but that was 4 years ago and I don’t know if they change it.

Thx!

That applied to the old V2 network, but Storj has been redesigned from the ground up with the current V3 network. That redesign included repair processes that ensure your data sticks around until you choose to delete it. By default, data on the Storj network is stored indefinitely. However, if you want data to expire, you can set an expiration date for an object.

The one exception is if you store more than the 150GB that is part of the free plan and you stop paying for it, it will at some point be deleted. But if you store less than 150GB or make sure you keep paying the bills, your data will always be there waiting for you.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum @coolstoragedudeibe !

You could search the forum for all your questions. Most are already answered like in the post below.

If you still have more questions you can always make a post :slight_smile:

I am actually using storj to store my data. I want to know how long storj keep or retain user’s data on the bucket.

Is it upto 10 years?

4 Likes