Storj keeps sending more, do I expand my node?

I’m in it for the return. As long as my monthly crypto exceeds my cost, I’m in.

I’ve upped from 5 to 7 TB. Currently, egress is not increasing on par with the storage that Storj is consuming. Egress is not on par with last month at this time.

If I offer more, and it keeps getting consumed, would you keep increasing available storage if you have it? I’m asking questions that can’t be answered logically. The current return pays for my electricity and somewhat of future upkeep on drives, etc, etc.

What do ya’ll do?

when my initial drive with my gigabyte brix will get full (10%less than possible for the node) i will wait for ROI.(halfway done after one year atm)

then i maybe save a bit for the next drive/node, next time it will be 1 or 2 16TB professional drive,(or an 8TB SSD if possible in 2-3Y) because i have no internal3.5" bay at all, but raw power R9 3900x, 32GB (16free) (3200ram), x570 chipset. and an 2 bay docking station
pc (runs already an minecraft server)
as long as ROI or saving time is ~2-3Y im in. if it runs stable.

I didn’t expect a quick ROI when I started; I was expecting something like 5 years. That was when you got like 1Tb in 4 months. I’ve seen the potential of Storj for both SNOs and clients alike, and I’ve invested a lot. Now, the network excedeed my expectations. I have a lot of room to expand my capacity and I’ll keep expanding. But eachone knows what can invest and what are his expectations. I can’t recomend to do the same as me or not. Untill now, the driving force was the egress, paying 2/3 of revenues. Now we see that ingress is more significant and egress stales. We should upgrade our minidatacenters based on expected ingress revenue I think, ignoring the potential egress revenues.

You may want to see the recent proposal about operator payouts to make your return estimation. Update Proposal for Storage Node Operators

3 Likes

Actually I’m not so optimistic on node operator side. Igress growing and we need to buy more hdd but egress stopped growing. Today we earn half for tb compared to past months

If you have the drive laying around, then yes.

2 Likes

im aware of that, maybe im stuck 20-40 months, maybe i reactivate 4 tb lying around. but no time to do so.

So it’s commonly described around here that egress is highest on recently ingressed data. So your drive filling up while egress stays kind of constant is common experience. When the drive fills up, egress will likely drop some.

and as challet linked, payouts may be decreasing in the future, so I wouldn’t recommend a major financial bet at this time.

Personally, I am filling up 3 drives I already had in use, with a mix of personal data and chia farming (I am gradually replacing the chia plots with storj data as they fill). Once they fill up, I may have a fourth drive laying around I could commit. But buying new drives would have a very slow ROI period