Storj node domain

Hello all been running a node for awhile. I would like to switch my node from running from an ip to a domain name. I have made the change. Now i removed and restarted the docker storagenode with teh new setting. Now I am just wondering if there is a way to see if the domain has made its way through the network. Like a status webpage of something to see that it is being sent out with the domain instead of ip. I hear it takes a few hours. The reson is once this happens I will be running it from another server while I reconfigure the current server it is on. This will allow me to change ip’s with having to modify the node. Thanks.

1 Like

I’ll be making a lot of assumptions about your setup but if your new domain is forwarding to your external IP address or the DDNS you configured as part of the instructions here: https://documentation.storj.io/dependencies/port-forwarding …

I think the next steps would be to use https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ to check that port 28967 is open on your new domain

Thanks for the quick reply. I run my own domain, with dns. I know it is all working and seeing the network, and the port works good ectc. However I ran it with the ip. Now i switched to the domain instead. What I want to check is when my domain will be sent out to the network instead of my ip. this way I know when I change my ip on my domain (5min TTL) I know the node will be using the new ip and it safe to move my node. Do you know what I mean?

Hello @fonzy,
Welcome to the forum!

If your node Online on the dashboard http://localhost:14002, then the network is recognized your DNS name.

1 Like

Oh ok it does show online, awesome guess i will give it sometime before i temporarily move my node to a different ip. So when I move it i will be able to tell if it is communicating properly through that. Not knowing how the network works I thought it would take sometime. I wish somewhere it showed that it is using my domain name. But I guess that’s the way it is. Thanks again. i did launch it with it so should be good.

After thinking about it after i move I can run it and will be able to tell if it is working properly at the new site since it will see connect. Now just got to wait for over 1tb to move lol.

Switching to Debian from CentOS

global domains can take a good while to update, the problem is that the domain records across the globe takes quite a while to migrate, so depending on how it’s setup it will take a good while to change an ip address, a few years ago it was something a long the lines of a couple of days.

atleast for most classic webhosts domains, granted those kinds of things will always be speeding up, but did some domain stuff a few years ago and atleast back then it was still kinda terrible for the update time… atleast for changing a record…

this is due to the TTL in the global dns hosts wanting to limit traffic and also because of the legal and security issues associated with your domain switching ip addresses to fast, in case it’s compromised or such.

and tho it may be possible to work around it, i’m not that familiar with more than just common usage.
so if you are use to running a global dns server then sure i guess… ofc you may also want to do the same locally just for ease of use, which wouldn’t have any impact on the global ip… but didn’t sound like that…

usually from my tinkering when you first push a new domain record, it will update quite quickly, because there isn’t an existing global record… but else… well … ddns services seems to be able to update it quickly enough… but they would ofc also have their own global dns server which i suppose could be the contact point for them getting the ip address, if the other global domain server trust it…

there are a lot of stuff related to global domains, i don’t think you can just set a server up… or you can… but :smiley: well it might be a bit like running a second dhcp server on a network… people might not be happy about it… so just be sure you are complying with whatever legal requirements there exist.

basically the same as announcing an ip address on the internet… the concept is very simple… but there is some red tape and legal requirements before one can be allowed to do that.

ofc that doesn’t mean you in theory can’t do it… just means you might cause a lot of trouble for someone and maybe yourself.

the reason i say that is because, if you were use to working with global domains, i’m not sure you would have to ask that.

I do have a registered domain, and run my own primary DNS server. I also use buddydns (https://www.buddyns.com) to help propagate my changes quicker along with a 5Min TTL time. Is this what you mean by you might cause a lot of trouble for someone and maybe yourself. I own my own domain and DNS server and can change the ips etc. I mean other DNS might limit my changes etc. But two changes in a week I am sure will be fine. Maybe I am missing what trouble I would cause others.

Thanks for the response to my question.

well when running a global dns server you can push dns names and changes depending on how trusted it is by the other dns servers around it… so in theory you can hijack dns names atleast in a temporary fashion and such…

i not more well versed in it than i’m pretty sure there are certain rules one has to comply with to run a global dns server, i really don’t know them…

i suspect your not running a global dns server, but a local dns server and then that buddydns is a ddns service which hosts the global dns server which is then ofc correctly registered to run a global dns server and which pushes the records that it may or is setup to push from your local dns server… or something like that…

oh i guess they don’t host global dns either, but they do sound like they should be very well suited for what you are trying to do… atleast from the horses mouth :smiley:

i’m sure you are fine, i doubt one can just announce a dns server easily without it being configure atleast semi correctly… but in theory one could for malicious reasons, but i’m sure buddyns got you covered, it seems to be that kind of stuff they deal with or something…

skimmed their faq… i just couldn’t make sense of you sounding like you where hosting a global dns server and asking questions that registered global dns hosts would know…

so just wanted to be sure you hadn’t done some janky setup :smiley: ofc in most cases somebody would contact your isp and shut it down in a worst case type deal,

sounds like you are fine, sorry for the confusion.

Its all good, I am appreciate the reply… Yeah i should be follow most of the requirement I have run DNS checks and I score high. Your aren’t wrong i don’t run global, in other words serving other peoples dns. I just serv my own as a primary DNS server with buddy dns to help releive my dns server and spreed it out faster. So I am not required to follow standards as closely these make me more likely to be used by end users and get flag as trustworthy. How ever I do score high enough too. I just don’t have a reason too.

1 Like