Storj protocol (from the customer's point of view)

Is the Storj protocol, at least the parts necessary to implement a client that can upload/download data from the network, stable? Is there a formal description of this protocol that’d allow a clean room implementation?

I wonder how difficult it would be to write a pure C implementation…

1 Like

There is not a formal description of the protocol, at this point, unless you count the protocol definitions in the .proto files. And no, the protocol is not 100% stable; there may still be changes made to it when necessary, but they will be backwards compatible wherever possible.

To answer the broader question, though, it would not be trivial to write an uplink in pure C. The uplink has to do a lot more work than a typical S3 client; it is responsible for performing the encryption of the content and path, splitting segments into pieces via erasure encoding, and talking directly to the selected nodes to upload pieces to them while managing the restricted bandwidth allocation from the white paper. (Also, the reverse of each of those for downloads.)

Maybe the trickiest part would be the erasure encoding; the C library would need to produce output byte-for-byte equivalent to the output of the vivint/infectious library.

2 Likes

Thank you! Yeah, I’m quite familiar with the added complexity, I understand that it has to be bit-for-bit compatible with regards to data processing, and it does simplify the problem a lot to just share a golang library as the first step. Still, at some point independent implementations would need to show up anyway. Just wondered how easy it would be.

1 Like