Storj Vetting & Operation - Multinode - SingleIP

Thanks to already excellent responses from others in this topic, I have very little to add. Just some small remarks.

@Pac already answered this, but I want to add a caveat that my post you are linking to contains outdated information. There seemed to be a theoretical limit of about 40TB at the time. Things have changed since then. Ingress has gone down a bit, but deletes have gone down even more. To the point where the theoretical limit has gone up to about 100TB, but is no longer relevant as it would take literally several decades to get there if ever. Please refer to the sheet in the top post instead to get an indication of what to expect in the first 10 years (if traffic patterns stay exactly the same, which they won’t). I try to keep that sheet up to date with recent traffic patterns.

While we’re linking to my stuff, I recommend this script. It will show earnings and among other things the vetting process on each satellite. If you have further questions regarding this script you can post in that topic.

One last remark on @Pac’s last post. The linked post refers to a priority auditing that’s done for nodes that haven’t been fully vetted yet. This indeed makes it not linear to the number of nodes in vetting. But keep in mind that this doesn’t cover all audits. You still get audited through the normal process as well based on random piece selection. Additionally, even this priority audit process for unvetted nodes also audits all other nodes that hold pieces for the same segment. So while this process makes sure there is a minimum number of audits for all unvetted nodes, it is quickly overtaken by random audits as soon as you get more data. All those normal audits do scale linearly with the number of nodes in vetting.

This leads to 2 options. Vet as many at once to get them vetted a little faster, or vet them one by one. One by one has the vetting process take a little longer, but as long as you also have fully vetted nodes with free space, this could actually be a slight advantage as traffic for unvetted nodes isn’t shared with traffic for vetted nodes. So you can get slightly more on one IP if you have nodes in vetting and vetted. In general, this difference is probably not worth jumping through hoops for. So choose whatever makes managing your nodes easier on your end.

4 Likes