Storj VPN (PIA) with Wireguard

Have you tried https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/blog/wireguide-all-about-the-wireguard-vpn-protocol/ ?

This isnt setting the bar very high When I had PIA I got 200/200 connected with my local area. If you connect to another country using a VPN you probably wont get high speeds.

Recently my provider (ā€œSurfā€ in British columbia, Canada) started to block all incoming connections.

So, I got myself $5 VPS from Amazon:

For $5 you are getting 2 TB traffic allowance included with VPS. My 10TB node used ~1.3TB traffic last month.
If I would be on the East coast I would use OVH $3.5 VPS with unlimited traffic, but they are rather slow for me, because Iā€™m on the west coast.

First, I tried to expose StorJ via SSH tunneling to VPS. That proved to be rather slow and unreliable.

Now , I connected my Synology nodes with Wireguard. But the Wireguard doesnā€™t expose endpoints on the target node. So, I had do to also run ā€œrinetdā€ proxy to expose ports on VPS redirect traffic to Wireguard.
That setup works reliably for me for about a month now. And it seems rather fast.

Here is one of my dashboard, exposed via VPS (Iā€™m not worried about exposing it):
http://proxy.slavikf.com:28966/

Easy to setup, but I can write short guide, if somebody had issues configuring it.

2 Likes

The configuration of my pc is the following:

• Processor: Intel Core I5 ā€‹ā€‹8400H

• RAM memory: 8GB

• Hard Drive OS (WIN 10): 256GB NVMe ssd

• Hard Drive Storj Node: 2TB HDD

• Operating system: Win 10 64 Bits

This computer is a MINI PC and is exclusively for the storj node.

Could you make a step by step guide on how to configure this?

if i where you i would make sure itā€™s a supplier that has a datacenter nearby youā€¦ the problem is the connectionā€¦ because Argentina is literally the small toe of the internetā€¦ barely connected at all

so the problem you run into is that you end up connecting to some datacenter / server somewhere far away which limits your bandwidth because you will share bandwidth with the rest of the country or countries along the route.

i wouldnā€™t even be able to tell you that what you want to do might be possible 100%
you live in a part of the world with arguably the worst / least connected part of the world.
that in itself may limit your practical ability to really run a storagenodeā€¦

but if we assume itā€™s even possible over the internet from Argentina at a decent level at least, then you will need to connect to a datacenter near youā€¦ so you will have to checkā€¦ who has one of the biggest data centers nearbyā€¦ then you rent with them and connect through there, and since you rent hosting / VPS with them, then you get access to their infrastructure which might mean even better connections to the rest of the world which only their customers are routed throughā€¦ meaning you might be able to for fairly reasonable prices, to have your traffic outside the normal Argentinian public internet, and thus reach a competitive level and much better speeds if not near max of what your ISP will provide youā€¦

there are many things to consider in stuff like thisā€¦

But yeah long story shortā€¦ find a big semi local datacenter and rent vps with them and connect through thatā€¦
AWS may workā€¦ and it may notā€¦ depends on where they are located near youā€¦ odds are good AWS is well connected even in your part of the world.

But i canā€™t say that without digging into where they have serversā€¦ on the other hand AWS is supposedly very easy to use, which is one of their major advantages.

so all in all do your research, you cannot just bet at random when there isnā€™t many options that might be goodā€¦ unless if you just want to waste a lot of time.

At this moment I am in Peru. My node is in Peru. I am the one who travels to ARGENTINA for work reasons.

then my guess would be that connection through Ecuador might be the best option, they seem to have the best connections out to the rest of the world, going through brazil.

so i would look for the biggest datacenter or such in Guayaquil i think which seems to be where the biggest fiber connects toā€¦ thats where i would rent a vps because i would expect your ISP to be very well connected on a local level so getting data there should be a problem and then you go onto the leased bandwidth of the datacenter from thereā€¦

I donā€™t know many of us to know or not that using VPN has separate law in many countries like the uae vpn law one of them so whenever anyone using the VPN pls check that the govt give permission or not.