Storj VPN (PIA) with Wireguard

Hello my name is Richard. I recently started my node using a VPN (PIA) as my ISP has a CGNAT.
However, of the 100Mb FTTH that I have contracted with my IS when I do a speedtest test to the PC of my node it only gets 10Mb of Upload and 10Mb of Download.
I know that when using a node with VPN the speeds decrease. The guide found on the STORJ forum also details that a VPN can reduce the speed of a node by up to 60%. However, it reduces me by 90%.

Regarding this problem, I have seen that PIA VPN has two technologies:

1. openVPN
  2. WireGuard
    According to what I have read on the internet. Wireguard is better at speeds when using a VPN. However, I have not found any thread on the storj forum about Wireguard.
    In conclusion, does anyone use Wireguard?

`

Is Wireguard faster than OpenVPN? We tested 114 VPN servers..

`

Did you do a speed test before implementing a VPN?

2 Likes

yeah do a speed test pre and post vpn… see what the numbers say…

it’s not uncommon for vpn speeds the change over extended periods in time, as new users or other stuff events happen that strains their networks…

not sure i got a solution for you… but just saying… maybe just get a global IP from your ISP
then you should also be able to do proper routing and thus bypass the vpn all together…

not sure if it was you, but i think i actually suggested that in the first place…
thats the route i would take anyways… doing all the other crap is patchwork solutions at best and you end up paying for the vpn anyways, which is about as expensive as leasing a global ip form your isp…

so whats the point, if you can lease a global ip from you ISP that is… ofc not everybody can do that… just most…

1 Like

I have two desktop computers connected to my WLAN. The 2 are connected by ethernet cable. Then I will detail the problem:

1. When I do a speed test using https://www.speedtest.net/ on my PC where the Storj Node is located (which uses PIA vpn) it shows me speeds of 10 MB upload and 10 MB download.
  2. When I do a speed test on my second PC where there is no node and I do not have a VPN, the page https://www.speedtest.net/ shows my results of 100 MB download and 100 MB upload .

I am the one who had a problem with his ISP and I solved it using PIA vpn.

https://forum.storj.io/t/node-created-using-pia-vpn-appears-offline/9417

If you understand how VPNs work you would understand why it’s not as fast as if your connected with just your ISP, If you use an VPN and connect it to another place though a VPN that isnt in your country or close to you, you will not get the same speeds. Say your in the USA and you use a VPN that is connected to Africa. and say your internet is 100/100 both ways and you use your speed test and you get 2/2 while connected to a VPN. You could connect locally with a VPN and get closer to the speeds of your internet as long as the VPN is connecting to a close datacenter within your location.
You cannot expect to get the speeds your ISP has if your connecting though a VPN.

just to be 100% sure here…

you aren’t confusing 100 MegaBit with 100 MegaByte

since there goes 8 bits to a byte you end up with something like 12.5MB/s on a 100Mbit connection

no offence meant, but we do often run into people dealing with very… basic … misunderstandings at times.

i think you should check with your ISP if you can get a global ip, and if you can, then i would get one of those and just forward the ports… it will cost a little extra fee usually, but so does the vpn you are using

So far nearly everyone has reported they could get a public IP for free. It’s a static IP that usually costs money, but you don’t need it to be static since you can work around a dynamic IP with DDNS.

Just tell your ISP you need to be able to access your IP camera. That saves you from having to explain Storj. Surprisingly almost everyone has success with that solution if they contact their ISP.

1 Like

I recently switched to a FTTH provider which use CGNAT, but sells static IPv4 addresses for ÂŁ5/month. Just contact them and ask.

1 Like

I am currently located in South America, Argentina. My node using PIA vpn is located in canada.

`

`

I just called my ISP and they tell me there is no way to get a static IP. Not even paying more.

But maybe they have a dynamic public IPs?
The static IP is not required (you can fix that with a DDNS hostname).

map is from this site
https://vpnpro.com/vpn-reviews/private-internet-access-review/

you really shouldn’t be connecting through canada, mexico or brazil would seem a much better choice… try that and i would almost bet your speed will be much better…
dirty fix, alternatively you could look for vpn’s that have more servers near you… routing the data half way across the continent is rather inefficient.

best solution would be some sort of public ip and the maybe ddns, but for today if i was you i would just try to change my vpn so it connects through… brazil or mexico

apperently after you login, you get to select the VPN server there you will need to pick a close location for optimal speeds… or test them out and see what works

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/helpdesk/guides/windows/windows-installing-the-pia-app

wow you really are at one of the worst locations for this aren’t you…
brazil would be my guess tho it’s not impossible that there is some sort of satellite link to other locations in the world, which if you then know where lands you can make use of…

1 Like

and after a bit further investigation.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/submarine-cables-full.html
this was pretty useful

here we can see the cables connecting the world… as you can see going from argentina to canada basically takes you around europa to stay on the highest bandwidth lines… so if there is high traffic you will be routed that way… :smiley: so yeah crossing the atlantic twice and basically going ½ the earths circumference before your data leaves the vpn… :smiley: and then it starts its journey…

from looking closely at the map i would say brazil or singapore would most likely be your two best options for high connectivity / bandwidth…
brazil might have best latency… but singapore seems like a good nexus point where tons of lines interconnect and thus it will be able branch out everywhere from there quite easily…

but brazil would be the preferred on imo, but i’ve often used asian to bounce data off with great results…
i know it seems counter intuitive… but thats like transporting stuff on trains, its not always the direct route, but they sure will move a lot of stuff in a short time…

Im a bit disappointed in the fact you are using a vpn in canada when your in south america, Its one thing having to use a vpn but why connect to a entirely different country and wonder why my speeds are so slow? This is the entire reason VPNs shouldnt be allowed to be used to host a node for this reason.

or the protocol running the internet isn’t smart enough… his packets should contain some sort of intention… that they go that far just to get online is … well can’t really blame a protocol invented in like 1970 … but still in the future that will without a doubt be impossible because it’s a huge waste of resources.

This is the speed of my PC where I have the Storj node when I deactivate the VPN

you need to check this… when you start your vpn you can select the vpn server you want to use… you will have to pick one in either brazil or singapore, or test which ones gives you the best speeds…
if there are closer to you then that might also be good, but personally i would bet on brazil

Step 6: Connecting

Use the power button to establish a connection — it may take some time to establish the connection, this is normal.

Once the connection is established, the Power button will turn green and the application will list the VPN Server’s IP.

SELECT BRAZIL!

Real Bandwith 25Mb/12.5Mb. Via wireguard!2020-10-16_14-48
P.S. openvpn not so good, the speed is worse and ping’s to high

1 Like

How to configure WireGuard in PIA vpn?