Storj vs Filecoin?

You can see it visually

Share an object and open the link in the browser

3 Likes

If you add a ?view at the end, you will stream it right to your browser
Also, when you share, you can strict the time, like --not-after +5m, so it will expire after 5 minutes :slight_smile:

Amazing

7 Likes

i was trying to make that work, but might need a tardigrade accountā€¦ :smiley: tried to watch the video, but couldnā€™t stream it, which seemed weird so i just left instead of downloading it to view itā€¦

and that video didnā€™t even show anything aside from tardigrade advertisementā€¦

maybe i need to actually run the code myself thenā€¦ if i ever get around to making a tardigrade accountā€¦ :smiley:

5 posts were split to a new topic: Performance on Tardigrade

Add a ?view at the end of URL

What I understand from here is that just as ethereum has reached half the price of bitcoin, the storj will reach half the price of filecoin as soon as the value of the project is understood, and the volume and revenues will increase. The only advantage of filecoin is that it is known. storj integrations are very powerful

The value in crypto is unrelated to success of the project unfortunately, itā€™s driven by speculations.

And itā€™s especially unlinked when your use an utility tokens.

The STORJ token is an utility token, itā€™s not mineable and itā€™s used as a medium for payments - you can pay for the Storj DCS service and/or will be rewarded as a service provider (Storage Node Operator). Itā€™s not an investment to the project.

4 Likes

I gently disagree with the unrelated term ā€¦ I would use ā€œā€¦slightly correlated but not directly valued based onā€¦ā€

There are thousands of tokens that have no real future because they have no real or no viable product to support the long term use of the token.

STORJ has both a real product and a viable business model going forward. As the storj network reaches milestones and various news platforms, the STORJ token has seen several surges in price over the last 2 years that Iā€™ve been running my node. Without the real products backing the token, itā€™s likely STORJ would have below shā€“coin level.

It would have been nice to have a working crystal ball in 2019ā€¦ and I would have been decently rolling in the dough after my $0.08 STORJ pile of thousands of tokens hit $3.20 in 2021ā€¦

5 Likes

Even at $1.25 we have done well. However I take @Vadim 's point, speculation drives some pretty wild swings and that is not very useful for a utility. To provide customers a good experience you want some price stability because at scale they want to be able to budget costs over time.

1 Like

I agreeā€¦

Itā€™s better to be a Storj Node Operator on the upswing and a Storj user at the bottom of the curveā€¦

However, there is, or was, a 10% bonus on the user side for paying in STORJā€¦ if I remember correctly.

1 Like

This is why prices for the Customers in USD, not tokens. Even if the price of the token would rise, the price of the storage will remain the same. When the customer pay in STORJ tokens, the tokens are converted on date of transaction to USD on the customersā€™ balance (with 10% bonus).
The same is true for the Storage Node Operators - all calculations are made in USD and converted to STORJ only on date of sending.
This gives stability for the ecosystem, even if markets speculates around it.

7 Likes

Filecoin is only better primarily because it has a better name.
Storj is better because it is better in every way possible. Filecoin should be called out, your hunch is correct. Filecoin just sounds cool is all. They should shutdown and convert to Storj.

3 Likes

hm so can you explain in more detail why STORJ token price should go up with business expanding? How is STORJ price correlated with itā€™s business model?

For STORJ specifically I need to take Alexeyā€™s side as it seems the price was driven purely by speculation and inertia of crypto market cycles and not the actual utility (as there is no incentive to buy STORJ token actually, other than using it for 10% discount).

P.S. Iā€™m still learning so there might be some misconceptions

The token price is uncorrelated to business model. The business model consider to use tokens for utility purpose only - you will have payouts in STORJ as a service provider (for example storage node operator) and can use STORJ tokens to pay for the decentralized storage service. We can also pay in STORJ to other service providers as well (zkSync for example).

1 Like

The value is mostly speculative. But there are a few things that could be tied to long term business model viability.

• You already mentioned customers can use STORJ to get a discount. With the current transaction fees, that may not be viable for every customer, but on larger scale amounts it can still be helpful. If more customers want to do this, there is more demand for the token, which could increase the price. But atm, I donā€™t see this outpacing the speculative pressures any time soon.
  • When Storj Labs runs out of reserves, it will be kind of a make or break moment. As they will have to buy STORJ back from the market in order to keep paying node operators. But by that time they also need to be financially viable in order to be able to afford that. If they are, the significant additional demand this creates could have a big impact on value. But if they are notā€¦ well, it could go the other way as well. However, this isnā€™t necessarily a single moment that is make or break for them. There are other sources of financing that can be used to extend their runway even if the token reserve runs out. I simplified it a bit here.

Bottom line is that Storj needs to survive for the token to keep its value. More customers and more data stored will shorten the runway Storj Labs has because they run through the token reserves faster, but will also increase the chances of long term viability.
The impact also goes both ways, a higher token value is good for Storj as it increases their runway, because it increases the value of their token reserves.

So while there is no strong tie to product value, there are some soft ties to company viability. Are those enough to outpace speculative price swings? Short term, definitely not. Long termā€¦ maybe.

Last note, people affiliated with Storj Labs will never speculate on token value. Communications stick to the known facts and updates are always sent through official communications, usually in the quarterly token reports. This is because they want to ensure they stay away from any possible optics of token and market manipulation. So while we can speculate and share info, donā€™t expect them to join in on that or even comment on it other than to say it is all speculative. Which it is, including my post here.

3 Likes

While Filecoin can store and distribute data, Storj can only store them. Storj was developed majorly for developers, but Filecoin supports a market for trading raw data. Moreover, Storj promises durable data storage.

What do you mean by that?
I can upload and download my files, and their pieces will be distributed across the globe:

And you can share your files with Objects browser Using the Object Browser - Storj Docs or with uplink CLI: share - Storj Docs

5 Likes