StorJ with NodeJS

Hello,
I was researching DCS’s and I saw StorJ and wanted to know more.
I mainly develop in NodeJS as my backend and I couldn’t find anything in the docs, does StorJ support NodeJS or is there any info how to connect to StorJ like API endpoints?

Welcome to the forum @Damian !

2 Likes

Thanks for the Link!
There isn’t much info how to use it, how to send and retrieve data. It doesn’t say if I’m able to choose my own Storage Zones etc.

1 Like

The storage zones are just what satellite you would use to create an account. You cannot switch it later and have an access to your data uploaded with help of another satellite.

You can switch between regions only if you use a Storj-hosted S3 Compatible Gateway. But S3 protocol have a lot of limits, in case of hosted solution it also uses Server-side encryption unlike a native integration with End-to-end encryption.

In case of native integration the selected satellite doesn’t matter too much, because data transfer is happening directly between your uplink and nodes across the globe. The upload is starting with 110 pieces, when the first 80 are uploaded, all remained got canceled.
So the upload happened to the closest (fastest) nodes to your location, not to the satellite.
Your uplink upload directly to the satellite only if the size of the piece is less than a metadata to store it, in this case it will be stored with metadata.
When you download - it will start download 39 pieces and cancel download when the first 29 are downloaded (your uplink needs only 29 pieces to reconstruct the file). So download again happening from the closest (fastest) nodes to your location.

You can also take a look on Storj - Third Party · GitHub

2 Likes

@Damian - check out the docs at https://storj-thirdparty.github.io/uplink-nodejs/#/ - they aren’t actively updated but we may be making a minor bump to them soon.

1 Like

The link to the API docs from that link above leads to https://storj-thirdparty.github.io/api-doc/index.html and it 404s

The docs linked in a post above have been updated now. Unfortunately the debían repo your link is referring to no longer exists which causes the error, but you should be able to follow the updated docs.

Please note that this is a third party product so Storj is not responsible for keeping it updated.

You can use the AWS S3 SDK with nodejs pointed to Storj’s S3 compatibility gateway.

See Sample NodeJS and React code using presigned urls and AWS SDK V3

1 Like