Strange numbers in my node dahsboard

Can someone explain me the reason for this numbers:

The node is up and working, now what’s the problem?

Honestly I’m going to shutdown everything: because of RAID fail I had to change a disk in the pool, but it seems it was impossibile to recover the RAID itself, so I had a fatal crash in my (first) node and had to shut down everything (without graceful exit).

So I setup a new node (with same disks, but not RAID), and evertything were going fine until the numbers wents red and I can’t understand what’s wrong.

I’m spending real money (around 400 euros) to gain breadcrumbs, because my node is young, I have to wait 15 months to claim the entire amount gained in the month, and yaddayadda… and I’m still running a storage node for the sake of collaboration.

Now I’m a little upset, and mostly annoyed, how Docker, Storj, and all the fragile castle is working. The numbers in the image are just the topping on the cake; if there’s no way to set the node running smooth I’ll just shutdown the node and “so long, and thank for all the fish” (cite.)

Please shut it down. There’s no point in participating in a project that you’re upset with. Besides, with your attitude there’s no point in wasting time on helping you. There are plenty of experienced node operators who are actually capable of working with Docker, reading its documentation to set it up correctly, and set up their networking so that they keep being online.

Now, if you gave at least some basic hints as to how your network is configured, then maybe, just maybe it would be possible to answer your grievances in a substantive way.

1 Like

I participe in this project since september 2020, not the day before…

The only way I can define your answer is “rude”, thanks for helping

Just to complete info that not everyone has: my network is exactly the same since the day one I start participating in the project, I can’t know what is changed in storj container since 1.67.x (the moment the red numbers starts appearing)

So, if the only help you (and/or the community) is able to give is “please shutdown” I’ll go this way.

Thanks again

1 Like

It’s done, the node with ID 1neczeQQ6Xre5zZRXaWSJzur2gWaVEzVkUBa8sFcV7Ri7wEErZ no longer exists.

As I said, “so long, and thanks for all the fish”

3 Likes

People stay come and be polite with each other.
There is only 2 hells in variation docker or windows. Each one choose what he can cook better.
But if you want to doing it you shold learn about it. Because we are not end users who pay money for service, node operators are service providers and it part of our job make it work stable, debug, report developers about bugs. No one want to pay money for bad service. If you do something you have to know how it work or at least the basics.

3 Likes

I made a simple question, I reckon I was a litlle upset (I clearly stated it), but the only asnwer was all but polite by my point of view.

I studied and learned a new (for me) technology (Docker) and I was daily dealing with Docker, which works when (and how) he wants, shutting down or stopping in casual way.

Anyway, the node is shutted down, the disk is totally formatted, I have no more data from STORJ project in my hands.

Sorry it ended this way, but if this is the support you give to your SNO (that are all volunteer, and paying from its pocket only for sake of collaboration to impulse decentralization) this project won’t have so long life, IMHO

Anyway, what’s said, it’s said, and what’s done it’s done.

If in the future I’ll want to start over (with new node identity, ofc) I’ll start over; for now “so long, and thanks for all the fish”

1 Like

I’m just a SNO, like you were. I’m not really a fan of posts which have zero actual information, yet are full of complaining how things don’t work for you. We’ve learned how many dollars you spent, how RAID didn’t work for you, how Docker is not for you. But nothing about your even most basic attempts on diagnosing the current problem. It was clear you were posting only to complain.

For your future attempts at participating in different projects (…or maybe in Storj again, if you’ll desire so) please take note on Eric Raymond’s How To Ask Questions The Smart Way. This is a really well-written guide how to ask questions to volunteer tech communities so that you can quickly get accurate results. Eric Raymond spent decades working in free software communities, so it’s worth reading him.

2 Likes

@evanmac We hope you reconsider. You are always welcome to tag a Community Lead for help. We do offer support from our teams, not only volunteer. It looks like you started this thread in what is the middle of the night for many of us. We always respond as soon as possible and escalate internally when necessary.

If you would like to reconsider we are happy to help you.
FWIW using a Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy quote is a very graceful exit.

I will reconsider in the future, for now I deleted all the data (because of privacy and security) and shutted down the node; so I burned my (second) identity.

I repeat: I entered this project just for the sake of decentralization and all the nice thing about keeping off the power to corporations, etc.

For now, my experience is ended; now I’m getting in a Nextcloud project, when I’ll have a spare disk I will start over with STORJ.

Thank you for the reply

1 Like

I know who Eric Raymond is (I’m in the cyberspace since the end of '80), and just because you quoted his useful guide, I humble post this quote from the link you posted:

" How To Answer Questions in a Helpful Way

Be gentle. Problem-related stress can make people seem rude or stupid even when they’re not.

Reply to a first offender off-line. There is no need of public humiliation for someone who may have made an honest mistake. A real newbie may not know how to search archives or where the FAQ is stored or posted.

If you don’t know for sure, say so! A wrong but authoritative-sounding answer is worse than none at all. Don’t point anyone down a wrong path simply because it’s fun to sound like an expert. Be humble and honest; set a good example for both the querent and your peers.

If you can’t help, don’t hinder. Don’t make jokes about procedures that could trash the user’s setup — the poor sap might interpret these as instructions.

Ask probing questions to elicit more details. If you’re good at this, the querent will learn something — and so might you. Try to turn the bad question into a good one; remember we were all newbies once.

While muttering RTFM is sometimes justified when replying to someone who is just a lazy slob, a pointer to documentation (even if it’s just a suggestion to google for a key phrase) is better.

If you’re going to answer the question at all, give good value. Don’t suggest kludgy workarounds when somebody is using the wrong tool or approach. Suggest good tools. Reframe the question.

Answer the actual question! If the querent has been so thorough as to do his or her research and has included in the query that X, Y, Z, A, B, and C have already been tried without good result, it is supremely unhelpful to respond with “Try A or B,” or with a link to something that only says, “Try X, Y, Z, A, B, or C.”.

Help your community learn from the question. When you field a good question, ask yourself “How would the relevant documentation or FAQ have to change so that nobody has to answer this again?” Then send a patch to the document maintainer.

If you did research to answer the question, demonstrate your skills rather than writing as though you pulled the answer out of your butt. Answering one good question is like feeding a hungry person one meal, but teaching them research skills by example is showing them how to grow food for a lifetime."

Thank you for make me read this piece of story; BTW, this was written when IRC and Usenet were places in which you could find very good and valuable infos

2 Likes

Eh, I recall both as places where people were used to complain how a piece of technology is terrible and worse than the competition thinking this will get them more help. It wasn’t that friendly. This place, on the other side, is much better.

1 Like

The online score has dropped, because your node were offline during the month, you can check when:

Then you need to check logs of your router to figure out why it doesn’t allow to establish connection with your node. You may also know if your node were stopped this time (you can check logs on this time too).

The color coding from audit score (when 95% meaning disqualification) was wrongly applied to not changed scores, I would call this a bug.

1 Like