Synology DS916+ (8Gb) Storj Node Possible?

I have a Synology DS916+ 8GB RAM NAS, with 8TB free for use as a storj node. Is it possible on the DS916+ - I see a lot of chatter around the place about NAS nodes, but no specific settings or guides.

I currently run a Debian Node on this IP, however I have fiber to the home, and plenty of (unlimited) bandwidth, suggesting it may be worth my while to run a second using my mostly sleeping NAS.

Please point me in the right direction.

Cheers from Japan!

Hello,

You can install docker from the store and then follow the traditional guide to install the storj node or install virtualbox on the nas, install linux and install the node storj.

(I never did these manipulations)

Just install docker from package center, connect over SSH to your NAS and follow the guide. You may need to use sudo for some of the commands on Synology. Other than that, it’s all the same. I’m running on a Synology NAS as well and it works perfectly. As for starting a second node, you will need a new identity and a new activation token. I suggest you wait until the first node is almost full, otherwise you’ll be shooting yourself in the foot for the other node. And vetting will take a lot longer since traffic will be spread across the nodes on your IP.

1 Like

Thank you for the kind advice and also for teh setup tips!

I’m running SN on my DS412+ with 2GB RAM.

So far, so good.

One thing I noticed, is that StorJ uses significant IOPS:
Originally I put StorJ data to my existing volume, which is 3 discs RAID 5, and I found it to be not optimal.
I’m planning to add 1 HDD, which will be dedicated StorJ location, so it’s IOPS doesn’t interfere with my primary storage.
It will make StorJ more quick, too.