Synology DS916+ (8Gb) Storj Node Possible?

I have a Synology DS916+ 8GB RAM NAS, with 8TB free for use as a storj node. Is it possible on the DS916+ - I see a lot of chatter around the place about NAS nodes, but no specific settings or guides.

I currently run a Debian Node on this IP, however I have fiber to the home, and plenty of (unlimited) bandwidth, suggesting it may be worth my while to run a second using my mostly sleeping NAS.

Please point me in the right direction.

Cheers from Japan!

Hello,

You can install docker from the store and then follow the traditional guide to install the storj node or install virtualbox on the nas, install linux and install the node storj.

(I never did these manipulations)

Just install docker from package center, connect over SSH to your NAS and follow the guide. You may need to use sudo for some of the commands on Synology. Other than that, itā€™s all the same. Iā€™m running on a Synology NAS as well and it works perfectly. As for starting a second node, you will need a new identity and a new activation token. I suggest you wait until the first node is almost full, otherwise youā€™ll be shooting yourself in the foot for the other node. And vetting will take a lot longer since traffic will be spread across the nodes on your IP.

1 Like

Thank you for the kind advice and also for teh setup tips!

Iā€™m running SN on my DS412+ with 2GB RAM.

So far, so good.

One thing I noticed, is that StorJ uses significant IOPS:
Originally I put StorJ data to my existing volume, which is 3 discs RAID 5, and I found it to be not optimal.
Iā€™m planning to add 1 HDD, which will be dedicated StorJ location, so itā€™s IOPS doesnā€™t interfere with my primary storage.
It will make StorJ more quick, too.

1 Like

IĀ“m buying on tomorrow but only with 512MB Ram. The RAM is the same as in laptops?

With Synology, often,
models with 512MB RAM has CPU, which doesnā€™t support Docker.

So, if you are planning to run Synology - verify, that Docker is supported on the model, which you are buying.

2 Likes

Itā€™s the 412+. From their site, they do support Docker. I just think 512MB is way too low.

Pretty sure that model comes with 1GB RAM. They do use SODIMMs, but I donā€™t know that theyā€™re always replaceable. And they can be finicky with which modules they accept. If you plan to upgrade be sure to do some googling and make sure you get a module that works.

1 Like

I just got it :smiley:
Now I install Docker and then use Terminal right? To avoid the ā€œ-vā€ issueā€¦
Any tutorial I can follow? Or any predictions on the release of the official native app?

You can install docker from package center, connect over ssh and then just follow the official documentation. Only difference is that you may need to use sudo for certain commands.

1 Like

By official documentation you mean this one, right: https://documentation.storj.io/setup/cli?
Btw, why must I use SSH? CanĀ“t I just use the terminal in SynologyĀ“s Control Panel?

Terminal in the control panel just gives you options to enable ssh. There is no actual terminal in the interface as far as I know. That would be a big security risk anyway.

1 Like

Is there any tutorial I can follow to correctly configure SNO on a Synology?

As previously mentioned the part thatā€™s specific to Synology is very small. Itā€™s basically install docker from package center, enable ssh, connect through ssh. From that point on you can follow the Linux instructions at the link you just mentioned. If you have a specific question I can probably help you out. But I donā€™t think there is a specific setup instruction for Synology. And since a native Synology package is planned, I donā€™t think there will be a very specific instruction for the docker version.

1 Like

Hi!

Can you please attach some tutorial creating a storagenode on Synology nas, like the documentation to the Pc version?
Iā€™m new at creating storagenode, somehow i manged to estabilish to my PC, but Iā€™m very noob to NAS systems.

Then follow the instruction for CLI: CLI Install - Storj Docs

@wasmacho,

ping me if you have any difficulties.

Iā€™m running SNO for months now on a DS918+ and a DS718+ with no problem at all.
Watchtower is taking care of the updates as wellā€¦

Higher stability compared to docker SNO on my iMacā€¦ Although I must say that also on macOS, docker with SNO has become stable as wellā€¦

But as @BrightSilence explained, get ssh up, and follow the CLI install referenced by @Alexey

Enjoy!

Hello!

Thanks for replying. Actually, I still dont what to do.

Iā€™m currently running the storage node on my windows pc. I could finally follow the steps to config my storj windows client, creating the identity etc. But now, I dont want to run my PC 24/7, I would like to migrate my whole mass (if possible) to NAS.
What is in the CLI guide, is whole questionmarks to me. In the system requirement tab where ask for the OS, what is it for? The OS of my PC where I want to control the NAS, or it is for the NASā€™s OS?
BTW Iā€™m considering between building a cheap energy eff pc for personal cloud running 24/7 and a Synology NAS. Is it possible to continue my existing node on NAS?
I would appreciate a step by step guide if you have time for this :slight_smile: Iā€™m reading this post or you can reach me at ā€˜myusernameā€™ at gmail dot com.

Sorry for this long message, I am a very unexperienced mate in this topic.

1. Make sure, that your model is support the Docker
  2. Install the Docker on your NAS
  3. enable ssh server
  4. Create folders for data and identity on your NAS
  5. Share them via SMB
  6. Connect them to the Windows PC as disks (assuming Y: for identity folder and X: for the storage folder)
  7. Enable ssh client on your Windows
  8. While your Windows node running (assuming Z:\storagenode as data folder and %AppData%\Storj\Identity\storagenode as an identity folder) in the CMD.EXE
Z:\> robocopy "%AppData%\Storj\Identity\storagenode" Y:\storagenode /MIR
Z:\> robocopy Z:\storagenode X:\storagenode /MIR
  1. Run another time
  1. Stop the Windows storagenode
  2. Do copy one more time
  1. If you migrating from the Docker desktop for Windows, then your X:\storagenode will contain the storage folder and you can skip the p.13 and go with p.14
  2. if you migrating from the Windows GUI, then you should rename the X:\storagenode to X:\storagenode\storage:
X:\> move X:\storagenode X:\storage
        1 dir(s) moved.
X:\> mkdir X:\storagenode
X:\> move X:\storage X:\storagenode\storage
        1 dir(s) moved.
  1. connect to your NAS via ssh
  2. Run the storagenode docker container (use the Linux tab everywhere): https://documentation.storj.io/setup/cli/storage-node
  3. Uninstall and remove the Windows storagenode

Please, do not run the same node in both places, the identity will be disqualified very quick.
Keep in mind, in case of reboot the Windows node could restart if you have not removed it.

2 Likes