The digital cinema as potential Tardigrade use case?

@jocelyn: Here comes another huge list of potential partnerships from the content industry.

The idea was, how to get a foot in the door? The solution I came up with was to integrate with existing software that is used by media industry professionals. Either by integrating natively (similar to Filezilla integration), plugin/connectors or by becoming a storage partner.
For that it is quite interesting to look at what professionals from the industry are using and keep digging… :sweat:

Now here are 3 software solutions that are used by absolutely professionals:

easyDCP Publisher and easyDCP Creator developed by Fraunhofer Institute is used to create DCP packages for the digital cinema. If a native Tardigrade integration or a plugin would be created, users could upload their media files seamlessly to Tardigrade for storage, sharing or distribution.

Next one is Blackmagic Designs DaVinci Resolve. It is being used in professional productions as well, as an article in the AWS Media Blog proves. The article even gives some more backgrounds how Covid-19 has also affected the media industry in the need of cloud storage and cloud collaboration solutions. I even came up with another idea after reading…
The DaVinci forum shows there is the need for cloud storage solutions from their clients.
Blackmagic Design offers various SDKs for their products and a developer community. This could be an approach for a Tardigrade integration or a connector.

3rd one is Avid, offering different software solutions, some with cloud integration/readiness others ready for becoming a developer with them either for native integration or build tools for their professional users.

Now that research led me to some interesting quotes from what professionals are using. And even if this one is a bit dated, it gives an interesting insight:

For DCPs and Prores files that will be used at film festivals I work for I use Filemail, SFTP, Amazon S3 and IBM Aspera

Sounds like the kind of professional to which Storj should advertise the Tardigrade service, huh? :grin:

But this all took me to the very interesting companies, Storj could directly contact to become a storage partner. Let’s start with IBM Aspera. According to the document OpenStack Swift (v 1.12) for IBM Cloud and Rackspace, Amazon S3, Windows Azure BLOB, Akamai NetStorage, Google Storage, and Limelight Cloud Storage are validated for usage. Wasabi claims it has been validated as well. In the document IBM claims

Aspera continually adds support for new third-party storage platforms as market demand is demonstrated

IBM Aspera can be contacted here.

Second one is Masstech with their solution Kumulate for the hybrid cloud. Storj should contact them and apply for becoming a partner.

3rd one is Lucidlink with their Cloud Nas Solution. Storj should try to become a partner and contact them.

Partnering with these companies could be really beneficial. To give an idea what massive amounts of data the IBM Aspera solution is used to deliver this article is very interesting: It’s a game changer that will allow us to manage an estimated 250 terabytes of content.

8 Likes