The digital cinema as potential Tardigrade use case?

Frankly even those that do know “something” about computers still don’t understand the benefits of a NAS for storing their non-active work. My father works on tons of blender projects and he’s just ping-pong’ing between the M.2 SSD for the active work and the 1TB HDD for inactive stuff.

I mean Tardigrade seems like a pretty awesome way to have secure collaboration on video projects. Like B-roll stuff being loaded into a bucket by that recording team and then things like a drone recording loaded when they get to it and so forth. I mean sure there’s dropbox and the like, but Tardigrade has the added bit of in-built end to end encryption.

2 Likes

It should be possible to spin up a satellite with a slightly optimized configuration for a company if there’s enough data to justify the investment.

1 Like

The satellite does not proxy data anyway, so the separate satellite could be needed only if you want to decrease a latency for metadata, which is small enough anyway.

1 Like

@jocelyn And here is a little more:

Software for creating DCPs. Idea is again to get a Tardigrade upload/download function built into it, so producer could upload the finished material to 3rd party DCP maker professional and download the finished DCP from him once it has been created.

The latter is even Open Source: https://github.com/cth103/dcpomatic

Which is amazing because Storjlabs could code it and make a pull request.

And here is just a little bit more of research/background:

Background information of well known film festival about how they request to have the movies delivered to them: https://www.efm-berlinale.de/media/pdf_word/efm/69_efm/screenings/technical-guidelines-2019.pdf

And 2 sites to serve as an example from many many that offer trailers or their own short movies for download as DCP.

I am going to download some DCPs from there and do some testing just for fun with Filezilla.

2 Likes

Trying to download some of the larger DCPs from the link sources above and one thing is for sure: It is a pain. It is slow and crashing in the middle of the download so you have to start all over… Terrible.

2 Likes

Having said that, my upload to Tardigrade had to start all over as well which is not good either.
I am currently trying to upload a 32 GB DCP with Filezilla and due to IP change (I am on a dynamic IP which changes every 24 hrs) the whole process started again from the beginning. As it says it will take 8hrs to complete, this is not a nice experience after 22 GB had been uploaded already.

As the potential customers from this thread will juggle with even bigger files, I believe Tardigrade badly needs some way to continue such upload instead of restarting it.

4 Likes

multi-part upload being tested on us2 should fix this afaik

2 Likes

I see. I think I had a totally wrong assumption what multi-part upload is.
So basically a client would upload a big file split in parts 01,02,03,…n.
And if some interruption happens like at part 199 the client would not be required to start again at 01, but it could happily start again at 199 and from there till end?
Does it work like this?

yes. depending on the multipart-integration it is even possible to upload parts out-of-order. iirc amazon s3 does support that.

That’s nice.

What use case does this feature cover?

1 Like

I think parallel upload of parts would work with that

4 Likes

@jocelyn: And here are some more applications that media professionals are using today and that could bring new customers onto Tardigrade if Storjlabs can manage to partner with those.

Wipster is a video workflow platform that enables companies to create & deliver better video, faster The world’s leading video workflow platform trusted by over 550,000 users. Join brands such as Sephora, Disney, Trivago, Shimano, and Deloitte who rely on Wipster for dramatically faster turnarounds, hassle-free feedback, and seamless collaboration. The link shows their partnering with Dropbox. Upload from other cloud providers is possible as well.

P5 is an archiving solution. The link shows their current partners page. They are partnering with Wasabi already. and Backblaze.

FileCatalyst Spaces is a fully managed and hosted service that allows companies to share files at full line speeds. It can connect to most popular cloud storage providers including Amazon S3.

4 Likes

Adding a link to an AWS use case that shows an example of how much the film industry can benefit from cloud solutions:

Until recently, major Hollywood studios dominated the realm of visual effects (VFX). But cloud technology is changing the game, making it easier for small, independent studios to enter the market. In May 2019, VFX Supervisor Bernie Kimbacher single-handedly built a cloud VFX studio, Hive VFX, using only Amazon Web Services (AWS). Many studios run partly in the cloud—for example, rendering on AWS or using workstations to access local networks—but Hive VFX, a collective of VFX artists that specializes in 2D and compositing, is one of the first all-in cloud studios.

Then, for storage, he set up AWS FSx for Lustre, a high-performance file system, backed by Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3), a highly secure and readily available object storage service. The seamless synchronization of file data and file permissions between the two enables Hive VFX to store a large volume of images and share project data across continents.

Here is an example of an entertainment company that seems to be very open to solutions based on new technologies like cloud storage and edge streaming:

We are excited to bring global entertainment powerhouse Lionsgate to the Theta Network. Lionsgate’s extensive media portfolio includes the STARZ global subscription platform, along with Lionsgate Films’ 17,000-title library as well as the largest collection of film and television franchises in the independent media space, including famed titles like John Wick , The Hunger Games , Now You See Me , Saw , and Blair Witch .

LIONSGATE started using the following AWS products in 2010:

• Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) for storage
2 Likes

@jocelyn @keleffew
Not exactly cinema, but maybe worth looking at:

It is like the cinema screens coming to the viewers.

Creators need to send/upload their movies to the platform. So the platform has a requirement for storage space. I could not figure out where they are currently storing their data. As they are partnering with Ontology it might be Filecoin, but could of course be one of the regular cloud storage providers as well. (Maybe even Alibaba Cloud)

3 Likes

Not yet. :grinning:

1 Like

most likely cut a corona deal, to help out cinema’s recover…
i’m sure they will not all go away… but become more like what the theater is these days

I am still clinging to idea that Storj DCS could at one day deliver movies to cinemas.
As mentioned in the thread, the standard delivery software packages for movie theatres are DCP.
I have manage to find a DCP package with a rather large movie file that resembles movies like they are sent to cinemas worldwide every day.
I have uploaded this package to Storj DCS and anyone can ‘play’ cinema now and download it and get a feeling if that would be an attractive thing for the industry.

http://link.tardigradeshare.io/s/1UXqNMwov41q9TgHmyopNg5q2giQ8aTdh1gjKWKjfbWPFrcrnhenp6QZfd5ukyVnYXDx9Cok6RtnQMMnXmoZPrSUMNGZGF9KuLCx5qAG3NuGq12rr2VhRHnGvAeRKXKDHtSoPK5zwcaXuBPqm41bzYmmXt2ezAgnqtzVrAc3HEeRzroTbQi8mXuu8Vy68aYw1SBpMzjLK9bStMaTe7kjWMc9npnUtJYMFmgbuvrizwKXh5THUhjVASXmfQZtyjVSm7UQyzE35UCyZ4V9Go2Bbv3yUJAqFWShnF81KTkUeNpd4HvKVPzqy5NCuSo5D9c8rPgt9ppb6gCaYjhP7JJCfrjRM1yx35/dominionlarge/

I have uploaded everything via the GUI web file browser and it went very good and stable.

By the way I really like how the guys running a node in Alaska and Greenland got their share of pieces from the largest file :grin: :

http://link.tardigradeshare.io/s/1UXqNMwov41q9TgHmyopNg5q2giQ8aTdh1gjKWKjfbWPFrcrnhenp6QZfd5ukyVnYXDx9Cok6RtnQMMnXmoZPrSUMNGZGF9KuLCx5qAG3NuGq12rr2VhRHnGvAeRKXKDHtSoPK5zwcaXuBPqm41bzYmmXt2ezAgnqtzVrAc3HEeRzroTbQi8mXuu8Vy68aYw1SBpMzjLK9bStMaTe7kjWMc9npnUtJYMFmgbuvrizwKXh5THUhjVASXmfQZtyjVSm7UQyzE35UCyZ4V9Go2Bbv3yUJAqFWShnF81KTkUeNpd4HvKVPzqy5NCuSo5D9c8rPgt9ppb6gCaYjhP7JJCfrjRM1yx35/dominionlarge/j2c_59b5ad71-013c-4cda-94ab-2064df2c89bb.mxf?map=1

4 Likes

I am seeing ca. 4 hrs download time for the 84GB j2c_59b5ad71-013c-4cda-94ab-2064df2c89bb.mxf file (http://link.tardigradeshare.io/s/1UXqNMwov41q9TgHmyopNg5q2giQ8aTdh1gjKWKjfbWPFrcrnhenp6QZfd5ukyVnYXDx9Cok6RtnQMMnXmoZPrSUMNGZGF9KuLCx5qAG3NuGq12rr2VhRHnGvAeRKXKDHtSoPK5zwcaXuBPqm41bzYmmXt2ezAgnqtzVrAc3HEeRzroTbQi8mXuu8Vy68aYw1SBpMzjLK9bStMaTe7kjWMc9npnUtJYMFmgbuvrizwKXh5THUhjVASXmfQZtyjVSm7UQyzE35UCyZ4V9Go2Bbv3yUJAqFWShnF81KTkUeNpd4HvKVPzqy5NCuSo5D9c8rPgt9ppb6gCaYjhP7JJCfrjRM1yx35/dominionlarge/j2c_59b5ad71-013c-4cda-94ab-2064df2c89bb.mxf?download)

I can try downloading it from Switzerland on my 600Mbps connection to see how it goes if you don’t mind me using your data.