The metaverse will require and produce far more data than the 2D internet that we all use right now

https://www.itprotoday.com/storage/3-areas-consider-when-tackling-metaverse-storage-needs

Even the concept of the metaverse is still in its infancy, and so it remains to be seen what kind of metaverse storage will ultimately be required. One thing is certain though — the metaverse will require and produce far more data than the 2D internet that we all use right now.

3 Likes

will it tho…
i mean sure… the internet will keep growing and produce more and more data… but i don’t think a metaverse will inherently use more data… sort of like a game after being downloaded doesn’t really required a lot of bandwidth.

most of the stuff in the metaverse would be like game graphics with some of it being custom…
but again… these custom skins or textures would only be loaded once…
sort of like a browser cache…
and everything will be like a 3d game… and even the biggest of 3d games of today only takes as much data as a 4k or 8k movie

ofc people will record videos of what they do in the metaverse… however its possible that these kinds of videos won’t need to be like video of today, but will be live rendered locally to save on bandwidth and transfer time.

so yeah i don’t believe this to be a true statement and in any case, i doubt we can really know yet anyways…

also i really hate the name metaverse, just because of meta being facebook now lol

Is anyone else having incredible deja vu with this whole metaverse thing? Haven’t we done all this with second life? The big difference being that back then many companies who had nothing to do with the second life rushed to make sure they had a presence there anyway, because it was going to be the new internet. Right now, we don’t even have that. It’s just companies with an interest of controlling a new space pushing the idea on others. Conceptually, very little has changed since the days of second life. There isn’t even a thing as THE metaverse, just separate experiences without any cohesion.

The only useful new thing I can think of is real world AR experiences… and even that I am not sure is going to take off in any significant way.

I’ll wait and see from the sidelines, but I’m really skeptical.

Edit: I should add, this wasn’t a comment against @jammerdan’s suggestion around storage requirements. While that demand is there, this is of course of interest for Storj.

1 Like

I don’t know if calling VR a 3d internet because its really not the size difference is very minimal compared to real 3d gfx, Meta verse is a misused reputation what people will expect it to be which isnt like a 3d rendered high resolution textured world that we know of video games to be.

Everyone expects the wow factor which it isnt at least not anytime soon were not quite there yet. VR isnt even main stream yet all it is, is a proof of concept right now. It just wouldn’t be mainstream because of the amount of data needed to even remotely feel like real life isnt even possible right now. Just think about the amount of compute needed for something like an Openworld experience with high textures to make it feel like your there in person. So for now I have to say I doubt this is gonna happen anytime soon.

yeah i doubt we can predict how exactly the metaverse would look.
ofc if it was to make life easier or make something cheaper, then i’m sure it would quickly gain adoption, i would expect something like that to be more AR than VR.

ofc there are some advantages for VR, like being able to view products in a virtual store… but i think people really like 2D displays… however 3d displays are getting more practical, but that doesn’t really give the same sense of scale…

VR outside of gaming is a tricky one… i could see it as a practical thing for online shopping tho.
but then again flying cars might jump in and give rise to even larger shopping centers…

or we might all end up having holosuits instead of home theaters lol the world is good at turning everything upside down.

ofc most likely it will just end up being some AR thing running on phones, because then everyone has easy access and thats often what ends up deciding popularity.

these days its just a buzzword to lure in investors lol

Lol…The idea of viewing a virtual store just seems dumb to me like what is the benefit of this vs a picture of an item, wearing VR to go shopping, I cant even wear my VR headset for more then 20mins at a time an imagine having to go out of your way to put it on just to go shopping… “hey Honey do you need anything at the store im going to walk 20 isles to find it for you in VR!”.

that you better can see the size of like a tv or a table in your house…
or something like that i could imagine would be something people might find useful…
ofc it might involved multiple people so one would need multiple vr headsets… and well… yeah it might not work well in reality…

but one of the problems with online shopping is viewing the items in a good way…
atleast if you don’t know what you are looking for…

but yeah i’m not really into VR, the idea is cool, but the tech always seems to be far from perfected…

Yeah I dont think anything can compare to quality like a really good monitor or TV, When you put on a VR headset its not really the same quality as looking at a TV Its grainy its not very pleasant to look at for more then a few mins it gives me a head ache. Theres a reason why theres not a VR headset in every home lol…

That would be AR, not VR. Hence why I said AR applications are the only place where I see some promise. You could do the same with landmark overlays with information. Or review / nutrition overlays on products in the grocery store. I think AR on phones is still quite clumsy though… so that’s a maybe. And there’s a big question as to whether AR glasses will ever take off. I don’t think Google Glass did us any favors for public acceptance on that regard. So for now it’s going to take a long time if ever.

AR is already huge in industry applications, and VR is getting used for training on heavy machinery not unlike flight simulators for professional pilots. There’s a local gaming company which almost rebranded to building VR simulators for training.

Not exactly shopping experience though. That’d require far more finesse.

That’s exactly my point. Honestly personally I don’t care much about the metaverse. I have no clue if this will be a thing and if it will, if it will be something for endusers, consumer, prousers or whoever.
But as a SNO, if this means more storage requirements that need to be fullfilled, I am all with it. :laughing:
And if it is currently the thing next to NFTs, there is no reason why Storj should not use the hype and position itself as the best storage solution for the metaverse.

2 Likes