The payout calculation is incorrect? I recorded some data by myself

Hi, I have a node running on a 6TB disk, the disk is dedicated to run Storj. Last mo I noticed that the disk was always full. The used disk space is ~4.8 to 5.8TB. The dashboard avg disk space is always wrong so it’s meaningless.

But the problem is by last month payout I only get $7.12 for this node, which is 7.12/5.5 = $1.29/TB. Then I check the Disk Average Month in the dashboard, which only shows 4.16TBm ~ $6.22. I have a simple tool that I coded myself to extract the node data from API, everyday, and write it out to a database for stats. So I went verify that 4.16TBm by doing a simple avg calculation on the data that I have, the result turned out that the average disk space should be ~5.2TB.

So The Disk Average Month for this node should be at least 5TB, which should equal to $7.5. That still doesn’t count the Download/Repair/Audit.

Any explanation for this? Why a huge difference? What is the exact formula that is used to calculate the Disk Average Month that SNOs get paid? How can I verify the payment amount?

Regards,

While it may be wrong at times (not always), it is not meaningless.
Currently the nodes are not paid for trash. Trash is deleted via Garbage Collection or TTL.

Garbage Collection takes a while before moving data from “used” to “trash” (If I remember correctly, about 1 week), plus another week to delete the trash data (there is also a % of trash that will remaind as “used” data due to how bloom filters work).

TTL data is supposed to be deleted as soon as it expires, but currently there are some issues with it and therefore are not always deleted when expired.

Due to the above, some of the data you have stored in your node that is marked as “used” storage, is actually data that has been deleted from the satellites and therefore is not paid.

The only true way to judge how much data you are supposed to get paid for, are the avg usage reports. Ideally the used space will match the space used in the satellite reports (or atleast be close), but due to how trash works and the current circunstances, the deviation between these two values may be large.

The calculations you did above do not show that you stored more paid data throughout the month that you were paid for, but that you stored more total data than you got paid for (because of trash). As far as I know, SNOs dont really have a way to verify if the discrepancy between paid vs real is due to trash or (god forbid) a bug in the payment calculation by the satellites.

If you should or not be paid for these additional space being used by trash, is a different discussion.

2 Likes

There seems to be a bug where not all TTL data being deleted immediately. When will "Uncollected Garbage" be deleted?

Also, if a customer deletes files it will not be deleted immediately from your node. It will be picked up by garbage collection later. So your numbers will always be off.

2 Likes

Does the number, “Distributed $7.12” on Payout page match the value in this tool?
https://costbasis.storj.tools/

Example of mine:

If this is true then the situation is entirely f… unacceptable :

Only 583GB out of 2.55TB is paid? (yes the file walker completed yesterday after a restart)

Of course not. If you select US1 you will see, that your node still didn’t receive a single correct report from US1.
Perhaps report from the Saltlake satellite is missing too.
US1

I agree with Alexey, the usage reports are not reliable and the actual payments will be somewhere between the two.

The saltlake reports for that node look pretty normal…

1 Like

That is correct, lately the reports have not been very reliable, but the fact still is that these reports (when received correctly) are the only “true” values representing how much of the data we are storing is actually paid for (other than the actual payments).

So at least you can say that if you get a report, that is the minimum you will get paid…it might be incomplete or missing but you are guaranteed that parts

1 Like

As @andrew2.hart said, it could be a minimum payout which you may expect. However, the actual payout can be greater (due to issues with the reporting).