The Polygon L2 is several orders of magnitude easier from an end-user perspective

I’m not sure what this refers to…

Are you indicating that SNOs can vote for polygon by modifying the ‘run’ command to add a ‘polygon’ preference like zksync?

such as…

docker run .... \
--name storagenode storjlabs/storagenode:latest --operator.wallet-features=polygon

I have mine set to zksync at the moment. However, if Storj would like to try sending tokens through polygon, I’ll give it a go.

1 Like

It is an array. You can signal both.

To be clear. I didn’t hear any plans like that. I was just curious how many storage nodes would opt in and to my surprise, the answer was 0. I don’t expect storj to change anything for 0 nodes.

Will do…

I don’t remember reading that this was possible. I guess a comma delimited list ?

https://github.com/storj/storj/blob/9d13c649a2aff61f51ea1e0cf37b62729d68e4f8/storagenode/operator/operator.go#L71

// String returns the comma separated list of wallet features.

Changing run command to:

--name storagenode storjlabs/storagenode:latest --operator.wallet-features="zksync,polygon"

seems to have worked.

How do you pass an array when using commandline options?

Is what @anon27637763 is using the right approach for declaring several values:

?

Also where was it said that we could vote by changing node configuration?! :upside_down_face:
By myself, I’m never gonna put invalid options to a commandline parameter just in the hope that developers will notice! ^^

I think we would need some ELI5 on Polygon and how to vote for it to make an informed decision. Personally I don’t know anything about it, what to do with it, how it works, advantages, potential disadvantages, and so on and so on.

I wouldn’t say it is meant to be a vote. I am saying the wallet_features is designed to be a list and technically you can add any payout option you are willing to accept. That is all. It doesn’t mean storj will understand that as a vote. The satellite operator has the right to choose from the given list and that includes to fall back on L1 if the satellite operator doesn’t like any of your payout options.

OK…

I like that option.

So, is the list meant to be an ordered list… 1st preference being listed first?

Well just ask your questions in this thread and I am sure someone will help you to make a decision for your storage node. This is open source. You can do it. The only risk is that the satellite operator might ignore it. Every one of us can add a long list of payment options to show the satellite operator what we are willing to accept. We can’t force the satellite operators.

No. The satellite operator will choose. I would expect that the satellite operator will optimize for minimal fees.

OK.

So, it’s possible that an SNO with a list containing two L2 options would receive payment on Three separate wallet options… each L2 as well as L1.

possible, but very unlikely due to L1 fees being so high - thus the discussion to begin with.

So does that mean polygon is a supported payout though? I don’t see like if you opt into zksync in the payouyt method on the dashboard. It doesnt forward you to the polygon explorer like zksync did.

1 Like

The gist of what Littleskunk said is that SNOs could have --operator.wallet-features="zksync,polygon,BTC,LTC,ETH,XMR,<any crypto>" but it is up to the satellite operator to choose which crypto to use for payment.

But it should also be noted that it wasn’t a well known fact that the payment option was an array or we can use any array elements we want. Most of us want to run a node, get paid and not have to deal with “you have misconfigured your node so no payment this month, wait for next payout”.

If Polygon ever becomes an option it will certainly be notified to us the same way we were notified about zksync. As of now we can see how this develops from this quote :arrow_down:

1 Like

Can you write more precisely how to do this? Here or in a private message

Its pretty simple goto the website https://wallet.polygon.technology/ login to your wallet

Then select Swap gas tokens

Select which token you wanna swap from,

Then Approve it and swap happens almost instantly,
From there matic is supported on pretty much every single exchange then to fiat.

2 Likes

It’s even better than that…

Right above your circled “Swap for Gas” is a new “Token Swap” feature built right into the polygon wallet. The documentation states that it uses the 0x API … which has multiple DEX inputs to determine the exchange rates. However, it doesn’t appear that STORJ is widely available in the pools. So, the exchange rate is pretty terrible at the moment. I think I would end up losing 99.999% of the token value exchanging in the Polygon wallet. Hopefully that changes soon… need some whales to take a dip in the polygon pools.

1 Like

Oh thats a feature I dont remember seeing, or im just blind lol!

It is.

I agree. Totally!

Yep. That is what I liked about it, too. Simple, easy, fast, cheap, no activation fee like zkSync… Hope STORJ could do Polygon payouts, finally!

Something doesn’t line up here. On our end I see a single storage node that would accept Polygon. What is the reason for this low number? Do we have a bug in the wallet_feature list?

The fact that there is one would suggest there isn’t a bug. But to check, I just added polygon to the list for one of my smaller nodes using the command line option --operator.wallet-features="zksync,polygon". Perhaps you can check if you see at least 2 now.

Edit: I may or may not have added a third option to the list :wink: :goat:

1 Like