Twitter to break soon?

Twitter had roughly 2,900 remaining employees before the deadline Thursday, thanks to Musk unceremoniously laying off about half of the 7,500-person workforce when he took over and the resignations that followed. Remaining and departing Twitter employees told The Verge that, given the scale of the resignations this week, they expect the platform to start breaking soon. One said that they’ve watched “legendary engineers” and others they look up to leave one by one.

Maybe time for Storj to start using alternative too.

Can confirm… go to twitter and look at the console in developer tools.

They are running a dev build in production, which is trying to load tons of resources from the local.twitter.com domain. This could get interesting…

That last line… haha…

Twitter no longer has a communications department to contact for comment.

3 Likes

a8dty

8 Likes

I generally dislike twitter and most other “social” media platforms so I’ll shed no tears if it implodes (although I suspect news of its death may be greatly exaggerated) and would be positively ecstatic if it took Facebook down with it.

Musk has managed to do “impossible” things in the past, though, (which is not to say he will not cock this one up) so deserves the benefit of the doubt.

It’s being fascinating to watch the whole saga, though….

Without getting too political, I think it’s important to preserve Twitter (or what ever comes after as the next platform of choice) because it’s an easily accessible global platform and we need robust global platforms for people to connect especially during difficult times. I remember during the 2010 - 2011 issues Twitter was one of the only places regular not super technical people could get messages out from affected locations. Yes it can be full of garbage but it’s also useful.

But maybe not if it is controlled by one single person especially Elon Musk.
For Storj maybe its even more natural if it would be on Mastodon or some other decentralized platform.

Decentralized would definitely be better for many reasons.
But with the current choices, I think it’s important to preserve.

Since reading that the server admin can read DMs etc on Mastodon, and how they have that blacklisted server in group thing going on, requesting permission to join servers, it feels a bit too gatekeepy for my tastes.

I’d prefer everyone be able to join, then get booted if they break the rules. IMHO

Perhaps.
Not sure the occasional benefits offset all the drawbacks, but then maybe my personal experience of Twitter was just unlucky…

I feel like Twitter is more of a tool to reach the public, and is therefor more valuable to public figures and businesses than end users. Not to say end users can’t use it, but reaching 16 people publicly with a photo of what you ate for dinner, isn’t the same for the millions that follow popular accounts on there.

2 Likes

I think twitter is gonna be the new facebook a new platform will be coming sooner rather then later. Twitter is becoming more and more for advertising then what it was meant to be. Elon is just speeding up this process.
What I mean is its mostly scams/bots/personations…etc