Unable to use Static IP

I appreciate any help in advance! I followed the setup instructions perfectly.

Finally got it online when only using the WAN IP address.

I want to use my static IP address, but it seems something is wrong with making the port public on that IP. Could port forwarding be it?

I contacted my ISP recently to ensure the Static IP is active, and they confirmed.

Hi @miner22,
If your WAN IP isn’t the same as your static IP then my first thought would be a configuration issue on the router. Can you set the static IP within the router? Does this then work with the open port checker - Open Port Check Tool - Test Port Forwarding on Your Router?

Hey @Stob thanks for your reply!

1. The router appears to be operating with a WAN and a Static IP individually. I attempted to ping the Static IP from a 3rd party service, and it’s working.

2. I cannot change/set the Static IP, as it seems to be set by the ISP.

3. Port forwarding appears to only open the port on the WAN IP and not the Static IP. I’ve confirmed this with the testing tool even before opening the ticket (sorry I didn’t mention that).

4. I am sure it’s something on the router side, as you say, but there are no other configuration options that I know of that it could be. I’m not an expert in this stuff, but I’m also not a completely noob either. The settings on port forwarding are pretty simple. It seems like the router is just prioritizing the WAN IP over the Static for port forwarding…pretty strange that it wouldn’t just open the port on both the IPs.

It wouldn’t really make sense for an ISP to give you both a dynamic and a static IP. So my guess would be that the static IP is internal to your network. What does the static IP start with?

Almost certainly you should just be using the WAN IP and if that changes, set up DDNS. What router do you have?

Please write down the IP from Open Port Check Tool - Test Port Forwarding on Your Router
Then compare it with WAN IP, they must match otherwise port forwarding will not work.

Maybe you have two routers? One from ISP and second yours? If so, you have a double NAT, in this case you need to forward port 28967 on both routers: from internet to local IP of the second router, then on the second to your PC with storagenode.
In case of double NAT you need to check WAN IP on the first router.

@BrightSilence @Alexey thanks for your replies.

• 100% confirmed that I have a public Static IP address from my ISP (doesn’t start with 192 or 10 or any other local network IPs and it receives public pings successfully)
  • Only one router provided by Comcast

It seems the port forwarding is just not applying to the Static IP and it is to the WAN IP.

I wonder if they have a method of designating the Static as the primary IP for our network or something like that…

They must be the same. Please, compare the IP from yougetsignal with WAN IP, they must match.
There is no other way around.
If you have a public static IP, it will be the same as a WAN IP, otherwise your ISP is not configured your router correctly and you should call them to fix a mistake.
You can find a WAN IP on the main page of your router. It’s usually the first page after login.
I can assume that you already specified it alongside with the port as your external address in the node’s configuration and started the node.
Then please check your port on yougetsignal, is it open when the storagenode is running?

Unless you have a very specialized setup(in which case you would know), you will have one and only one public IP. There are other ranges used for things like CGNAT and other stuff etc. If you try to ping those from an external service it might just work because similar IPs exist in their environment. Since you didn’t mention the router model, it’s going to be hard to look up the interface to see what you are talking about. But I think you’re misunderstanding what that static IP is referring to.

Btw, it’s perfectly save to post the first 2 numbers in the IP address.

One of the main internet providers here in the UK (Virgin Media) provide a dynamic public IP and then assign the Static IP(s) as secondary WAN addresses, so this is definitely possible. When we have this setup we need to specify the Static IP in the port forwarding rule otherwise the router just assigns the rule to the dynamic IP by default.

Thank you for letting me know!
I was not aware of such weird way to provide a static IP alongside with dynamic IP. Then the router should be able to work with multiple IP assignments and should do a proper routing.
I have some concerns about it. Most of providers gives a cheap router which is unable to work with complicate routing.

Like Alexey, I had never heard of this. Is this on consumer connections too?

Yeah, it is an outlier oddity, but I’ve seen it a few times now. Yes, consumer and business connections.

In the DrayTek routers we use, it’s similar to this setup:

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-nat-wanipalias

Except the main IP is set to ‘Obtain IP address automatically’ and the Static IP(s) are set as the WAN IP alias.

1 Like

I have AT&T gigabit fiber as residential service, and I also pay for a block of 5 static IP addresses. Each of the my static IPs can each be used alongside the dynamically assigned IP. What I do is disable the firewall for a static IP on the AT&T gateway and bind that IP to the MAC address of an EdgeRouter 4 which acts the firewall and router for that static IP. Any ports are then forwarded on the EdgeRouter as a single NAT. This can be done on each IP individually, and it does not affect the firewall on the dynamic IP.

Of course, I must also set up the static IP as the WAN address in the EdgeRouter.