Understanding lazy filewalker

Previously I had disabled the startup filewalker as it was causing performance issues on my tiny RPi3 node. I had since enabled lazy filewalker as this is less demanding but had not re-enabled the startup filewalker. After learning that the startup filewalker is the only one that will review the used space I opted to turn it on again for one node and let that run to see how well it did if I was sure it wasn’t competing for the disk controller against filewalkers of the other nodes. I looked at the log and saw that “lazyfilewalker.used-space-filewalker.subprocess used-space-filewalker started”.

It suddenly occurred to me… when enabling lazy filewalker does that turn every filewalker operation into a lazy one? I think I may have been misunderstanding the lazy filewalker, thinking it was a completely new filewalker that was more leisurely as opposed to a flag that changes all filewalkers to be less intense. So am I right with my new belief that enabling lazy filewalker is a switch for all filewalkers?

Yes enabling the lazywalker flag will switch all walkers to “lazy”, which includes the walkers for used space and garbage collection.

4 Likes

Great, thanks for the info!