Understanding the Docker port publishes

So I completed this today and now have 2 2TB drives spinning each as a separate node on the same RPi 3B. CPU and memory look to be fine. Omission of the --memory=800m parm hasn’t caused any issues I’ve seen in the last 20 days. All port assignments working as intended.

Also, @deathlessdd, if you wanted to check out the IBM i (AS400) there is a company in Germany that has one open to the public. It’s where I recommend my IBM i developer friends spend time keeping skills sharp when they’re between gigs. https://www.pub400.com/

I’d like to add a word of caution. This limit was only ever really a problem during high traffic. Just because you haven’t seen a problem yet doesn’t mean you never will.

That said, I know a lot of memory optimization has also taken place. So it might actually no longer be needed anyway. Just keep a close eye on it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. How would one “keep an eye on it”? I can see the momentary snapshot in htop, but would I expect to see errors in the logs or audit failures? To date I haven’t had to dig into the logs at all, my nodes have just “worked”. Looking at htop right now my little 1G of memory RPi3 (now running 2 nodes) is only using about 150M of memory. The whole of it is pretty much filled with cache, but only that small portion shows as active use.

The most convenient is probably to set up some sort of monitoring. It’s not exactly simple to set up, but some members here wrote pretty amazing documentations on how to set them up, for instance:

You would probably need an additional machine dedicated to that though, as running it on your RPi2 would probably overwhelm its RAM…