Understanding Trust Levels in Discourse

That’s the point - if you would try to read first, you will gain a level 1 pretty fast and even would not notice that there is limitations :wink:

Yeah, and that would work if someone joins out of interest and such. If, however, someone is having some problems with their node, they probably would want to ask for help instead of reading topics that are not interesting to them (at the time).

A notice about this (if it is not already shown) would be great. Then the new user would quickly go and read some topics before posting their question.

They will receive a notification, when they reach the limit with link to the help page.
The main point - do not scare people right away, give them a time to feel comfortable with the platform.
Then they can use a search (they likely will have suggestions from the forum platform if they would start to ask something, what was already asked).

there is something called @discobot that welcomes new members and afaik I did include links to the Trust Levels explanation. iI believe it is also configured to send messages when people move across trust levels. If not, that’s an oversight thats easily fixed. Im open to ideas on tweaks to the welcome message tht gets sent out. Please remember, that we cannot control if people choose to actually read the welcome message

In the past - especially in the chat solutions – the team spent too much time squashing spammers and hoax schemes. It was too time consuming and diminished the experience for other members.

I think the current settings to deter spam are working fairly well (nothing is ever perfect) …and given that our team is small, right now we prefer to stay on the conservative side, so that we have more time to do the tasks that have higher impact for the community overall.

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

PS - For those who are interested, here is the boilerplate text in the settings currently.
hey, we do believe in transparency when possible, right? :wink: I’m not digging up every single blurb, but I think you’ll get the idea. form the ones below

system_messages.welcome_tl1_user.text_body_template

Hey there. We see you’ve been busy reading, which is fantastic, so we’ve promoted you up a trust level! We’re really glad you’re spending time with us and we’d love to know more about you. Take a moment to fill out your profile, or feel free to start a new topic.

system_messages.usage_tips.text_body_template

For a few quick tips on getting started as a new user, check out this blog post. As you participate here, we’ll get to know you, and temporary new user limitations will be lifted. Over time you’ll gain trust levels that include special abilities to help us manage our community together.

discourse_narrative_bot.new_user_narrative.hello.message

Thanks for joining %{title}, and welcome! - I’m only a robot, but our friendly staff are also here to help if you need to reach a person. - For safety reasons, we temporarily limit what new users can do. You’ll gain new abilities (and badges) as we get to know you. - We believe in civilized community behavior at all times.

@Pentium100 for users who migrated over from Rocketchat, that was also a sneak preview situation, so it doesnt map exactly to the experience of people joining now. What had done for prelaunch invitees, was to send out a mass invite to everyone with a recently active account in RC – there had been a lot of sockpuppet, troll, and dormant accounts. The mass invite unlocked early access to the prelaunch version of the forum, and also funneled invitees to a custom post explaining why we were shifting away form RocketChat, laying out the contours of the new platform, etc.

I cant believe how long ago that was! Its been about 1.5 years now. Thank you for coming along for this ride <3

Yeah, not only my experience was long ago and I do not really remember it, but it was probably different than that of new users finding this forum wile having a problem with their node.

1 Like

Same here, I came and signed up to this forum not because I was frustrated by a problem with my nodes… I was interested in the Storj project so wanted to know more and suggest ideas, be part of it, and so on… :wink:
So I took the time to be welcomed by the joyful robot and gain a decent level of trust by the forum system that let me be more active.

And only theeeen… Did I face plenty of issues with my nodes :rofl:

1 Like