Update on June 2020 Payouts

you have to pay for a service, when store starts using 6000 users with maybe the avg number of nodes being like 2-3 and them having 5-6 satellites…

6k x2 =12k x5 = 60k transactions in a month, thats just unrealistic… imagine if you had to send 60k emails to people and each email had to contain specific information.

sure it’s a task you can streamline, but doing that also takes a long time… any sort of logistics of this scale is difficult… of because they choose to do it with all of transactions they reinforced the issue… making it a 10 times worse problem than it had to be… ofc when the expense goes into the range of them being able to hire a person for a month for the same money that they waste each month… then usually a problem will get looked into :smiley:
if discovered… one has to keep in mind there are many things to keep track of…

i don’t check my server bios battery every week :smiley: i replace it when it’s bad and then else i assume it’s good unless if something related to that seems to go bad…

i think they would still pick eth again… because of smart contracts and it’s maturity also its what their token is based on… so difficult to make a switch…
eth is doing well, fees are up sure… but really 0.33$ in transaction fee… is that really so unreasonable… sure it maybe much less in the future… but it’s not like it’s enough to keep people from using it… its just high enough that people need to take into account the miners needs to be able to keep up.

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Why does Storj use the STORJ token?

A lot of people that I talk to about decentralized storage and I mention StorJ, the feedback I always first get is “oh this is a centralized storage solution”, when I challenge them to explain or provide proof why they think this, the very first thing they talk about is the payments to SNO’s and how it’s not decentralized etc… So in essence it is a very important piece that we see full transparency for the payments and hopefully in the future we see the payments made via a decentralized manner maybe even done via an Ethereum contract and paying the eth gas fee with StorJ token itself.

1 Like

well people are idiots, its like the green movement… they can rage against the airlines, and then still take planes on holidays / business trips and what not…
if something works, then people will use it… even if it munches children and steps on puppies
what they however won’t accept is to high prices… :smiley:
then the peasants will grab their pitch forks and torches…

i do kinda get what you are saying tho… because its storj controlling the payments then its not decentralized… which is actually a valid argument
in a decentralized network no one component is a point of failure…

just because the payments are decentralized, doesn’t mean it all has to be done on the public crypto networks… its just the riddiculous number of micro transactions that they are trying to do…

one cannot expect a person running 40 nodes to on the same wallet address to be paid 40 x 6 satellites each maybe 0.20$ worth costing 0.33$ to send

well it’s a valid argument… i think you should take it to the storjlings… because stuff like that could be very important…

it’s not enough to be the first decentralized storage solution, people also have to be able to see it…

1 Like

Storj is pretty open about the fact that it’s not 100% decentralized (yet). They wrote a pretty interesting blog post a while ago on this topic, that might be of interest.

I think there is room in this market for all approaches, but I tend to agree that it’s nearly impossible to built all corners of that triangle at once. Hopefully other decentralized projects take the other approach and focus on 100% decentralization first to build out one of the other options later. After all, Storjlabs isn’t in competition with other decentralized projects, but with storage solutions as a whole. And especially in this stage it’s much better for decentralized storage projects to see each other as allies in that fight than to try and go at it alone.

2 Likes

Yes, I did mention it here: Payouts Delayed? - #12 by Sasha

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: July Payouts for the month of June 2020 are out!

We received a heads up by email a few hours ago about “Attn Node Operators: Minimum Payouts” which links to this thread. I don’t get why.

This thread seems pretty much obsolete with regards to payment thresholds?! That’s gonna cause even more confusion :confused:

The 2 other links are okay, but this one seems off.

I think, this was the first time ever Storj mentioned about threshold. Also it proves Storj just didn’t think of this in December but the ground work was laid out back in June 2020.

1 Like

A tracker in each link in the email?? seriously? Are we at google? Can’t we even receive a normal update with normal links I can click without having to worry about being tracked?

11 Likes

As a company you would like to now how active your community is and if they are reading your emails

I read my email but I refuse to click on a link just so they can track me.
I get lots of emails but there are not that many companies that try to track you this badly. Even the support links are trackerized.

1 Like

I even believe we have had this issue before and Storj Labs promised to remove the trackers.

1 Like

Only from the dashboard: Remove Tracker cdn.segment.com as far as I know (and from that they removed it).

I didn’t receive my payout for Dec 2020, but this thread (from June 2020) says that all payouts will be completed on time. My dashboard shows a ±$20 payout and I think that should be over their threshold?

Idea ? May be, paying directly in usd instead storj or any token …

Welcome to the forum @DAllion666!

That’s a non-workable idea :slight_smile:

SLP Token on BCH? Storj has been burned in the past by these tx fees (SJCX), and BCH has committed to keeping fees sub penny.

Come back to where you started :).

Hello @featureza and welcome.

I believe the e-mail referred to this thread by mistake, it should link to the following thread instead (I guess):

Maybe someone from StorjLabs like @jocelyn should confirm.
Also, maybe (if possible @john, not sure if old posts are still editable) edit the top post of this thread to put an erratum on it? And/or resend an erratum e-mail linking to the right thread because it’s probably going to confuse a lot of people.

According to @Alexey it’s not a viable option as stated by @nerdatwork above, here is a quote:

1 Like