Update on Storage node payouts

Payout for storing data will stay the same across all satellites. Only egress payouts will be reduced for test satellites.

6 Likes

This does not apply in my case since my monthly Storj payment is below the minimum amount I can cash out by fiat. So although I can send my tokens to the Exchange at the time I am paid i would have to leave them there until at least 2 payments have been made. I don’t want to expose them there for that period of time and prefer my own wallet that i control. Yes, I still have to transfer to an exchange to cash out - but I can minimise the time they are in the exchange wallet by doing things this way.

I do other things on my computer systems for fun and as a hobby. I’d much rather spend time on my Sparc’s and Alpha’s. I’ve just got Debian working on my old Sun V210 - and I have a few other machines to get going as well. Plus I am a father of two young kids and I still work for an Australian company even though I’ve not been back there in a decade. My wife tends to want some time as well. This means I start work at 3am local time which then means it becomes a bit harder to schedule everything. I also have hobbies outside of IT so there is limited time for Storj.

1 Like

There are other ways to spend your crypto. No exchange needed.

Buy BTC with Storj and wait for the next buble.
THIS IS THE WAY!

5 Likes

Not sure there will ever be another crypto bubble…

Let me get my crystal ball… :wink:

It still is reasonable to prefer data from higher-paying satellites over lower-paying ones if the node is near capacity.
Currently, all satellites pay exactly the same, so there is no real reason to prefer one satellite over another (well, unless one satellite is very high egress).
However, if satellites start paying differently (and with the addition of non-Storj run satellites) there should be a way to set priorities or to set separate storage limits for each satellite.
But there should also be a way to shrink the node - let’s say I “use what I have”, but now I need more space for my own files.

1 Like

There are no options to throttle traffic to certain satellites only, you can choose to opt out completely from any satellite by removing them from your trust list, as mentioned in other posts in this thread. There have been discussions before regarding ¨partial Graceful Exit¨ from a node to recover some space, however, there are currently no plans to implement this feature. You could only reduce the allotted space on disk but it may take a long time to shrink a node that way by just waiting for data to get deleted. Please go to the related threads if you want to continue discussing this. Lets stay on topic here in this thread, which is focused on testing how many SNOs will exit each test satellite due to reduced egress payout.

1 Like

Do we have timeframes for this?

It’s still audited. So it either a very lucky or all pieces lives in a healthy sectors.

This is one of my node’s available payment report about march.
How can I make a decission based on this data?
How much is egress/storage payment out of the 1,4USD?

It’s already been officialy announced by EU. They want to launch the Euro-Digital coin in october, the official digital coin for EU. …and the buble already started in january :wink:

1 Like

EU @snorkel maybe a French?

1 Like

wrong stats, it’s the upper one, scroll up, select the satellite, select the month you want to see, you’ll get something like this

2 Likes

UE … EU… European Union… European Onion :rofl:

3 Likes

You are right, I need glasses…

Looking at the Storj Network Stats, the combined egress of the 3 test satellites for the last 30 days is around 4,6TB, so around 92USD payed to the node operators for this. On the other hand, used capacity is around 6,47 PB. This cost around 9900 USD/month for Storj.
Looking at the node’s stat, repair egress was 0,26USD vs 1,14USD for Storage. Based on this, repair cost is around 2250 USD/month.
If they reduce it to 10%, that 2000USD/month will not make any big difference… If they reduce the stored data by 20% (around 1,5 PB), they can reach the same saving and they would save a bit on the repair cost as well…

Well they don’t want “saving” I think bro. The target is to get profit by the end of this year. So the cut will be huge.

No, it cannot be “huge” since it could mean node operators would have to stop activity and network available space will shrink while actually with current customer data growth rate that space is essential. Actually they start this thread telling no change for now because they want to balance it well.

1 Like

I see we broke 23k nodes now and still climbing…

Why? There is no minimum amount on kraken, you just pay 1$ for the withdraw. If you are below the minimum of STORJ you don’t get anything in the first place so it does not matter what wallet you define.

You do you. I just wanted to say, you probably have at least 2-3h initial setup and reading on the forum, plus the withdrawal every month 5min and all of that for like 20$ a month after a year? And that is without counting ordering new drives, replace them, ans so on. So if you do it for the money and your hourly rate is above 10$ it is definitely not worth it.

Like what? I can only think of gambling, “investing”, VPN or software none of them interest me.

Thank god STORJ as an utility token has nothing to do with BTC :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You can pay for goods and services. Either directly (via BitPay) or indirectly (via bitrefill). Goods and services you are already paying for anyway with fiat. Such as ATT wireless, Apple iCloud services, etc. there is little value in converting it to cash.

3 Likes