Update on Storage node payouts

Well, I spun up a few more myself.
The strategy of reducing the payouts to decrease the number of nodes doesn’t seem to be quite working out just yet… :wink:

I’m more intrigued by the 90k new user accounts on EU1, which looks like continuation of a trend rather than a last gasp dash for free/test accounts, compared to 4k new users for AP1 and 5k for US1.

3 Likes

Payouts have not decreased yet. And not everyone closely follows our announcements.

3 Likes

Both fair points…. which is why I said “yet” :smile:

I have already written that in addition to lowering rates, there is a way to reduce traffic on the network. The STORJ team met a serious rebuff from the operators regarding the reduction of rates. Well, they reduced traffic, and still achieved their goal - network costs went down exactly after April 1 for everyone.

For those who believe that there are some real users who downloaded the first quarter like crazy, and then suddenly changed their minds - well, my condolences. Even the team wrote that they have synthetic traffic in their network in addition to test traffic, so they are removing it.

Enough has already been said here about the sale of STORJ tokens from the general pool, about the business model, and so on. Who needs it - he understood everything, the rest may understand later.

I’m slowly starting to shut down my node farm, because with modern payments, even the costs of VPS/VPN don’t pay off.

there is no more syntenic traffic, all it is traffic from clients.

Where is it said? Is there any confirmation of this and can it be verified somehow?

Is there an ETA on this ?

This will help in so many ways. It will stop this thread from attracting unwanted posts that are just repetitive. SNOs that have subscribed or contributed to this topic won’t have to check new posts that add zero value to the discussion.

2 Likes

You may disable tracking of this thread, small button at left down side of page.

You can check it on your dashboard, traffic from Test satellites almost 0, only reaper.

I can confirm this, traffic from test satellites is mostly repair. On dashboard, select a test satellite, then on the first graph hover your mouse on that and you see what the traffic is made from.

There are storagenodes, like mine, that operate in areas with low latency and high internet speed and bandwidth. Those nodes are more dependent on egress traffic that some other nodes seem to be, looking at the comments under this post.

For example, on my (completely filled up) node, egress traffic makes up for 80% of my storj revenue.

Cutting the egress payout in half would still be bigger of a hit to my earnings than completely leaving out the used storage payouts. I would still want to continue to run my nodes at the proposed 10$ egress rates because I already have them running and have bought the hardware but 5$/TB is too little IMO.

These payment adjustments have a bigger impact on high speed, high quality nodes and pretty much no impact on low-speed nodes that are more dependent on storage and repair payouts…

1 Like

Please close this thread as there is an updated thread about payouts