Update Proposal for Storage Node Operators

(post deleted by author)
(don’t want to participate in this discussion because posts are deleted without notice)

All cryptos are down, Silvergate declared bankrupcy and the US is proposing a tax on electricity used for mining.

I urge you to please stay on the topic. SIlvergate, the bank for cryptos isn’t relevant to this topic. I hope you also know Storj isn’t mining.

market is in bearish mode

A SNO asked if the drop was due to this topic, I responded no, it isn’t.

I’m not even suggesting that Storj will be classified as mining by the US (I’m not from the US). That’s an open question for a different topic.

2 Likes

I just want to point out that these posts are being read internally by Storj staff. I know there was some question whether anyone is reading these posts or have already made up their mind on what they are doing. They are reading them, and nothing is decided right now. If you’ve been here for any length of time, you’ll know that John Gleeson is telling you straight on what is going on. This is a proposal for open discussion.

There is a lot of internal discussion about this and many ideas are thrown at the wall to reduce the impact on what the company is paying SNO’s. For the decision makers, it’s useful to know what costs are being paid by SNO’s, and what their breaking point is to leave the platform. Especially when it comes to power cost and how much storage you currently have.

10 Likes

I think it’s worth talking about increasing payments for node operators due to dollar inflation.
Reasonable prices are $1.65 for storage, $11 for recovery and $22 for outgoing traffic. This seems to cover inflation for 2019-2022. The same indexing should be done annually :wink:

4 Likes

And even in this case, there can be no question of profit

It also posible to bet, on storage price, so cheaper will get more data, more expencive will gell rest of data with bigger price. then it will go to equilibrium.

But that adds a lot of complexity and uncertainty for customers. If they can’t plan ahead what they will have to pay for storage in the next n months because they always have to bid with each upload, customers might stay away from STORJ.

2 Likes

who told that customers will pay like this, they will pay stable price.
but storj laps can get better price like this.

We have a reoccurring twitter space, an opportunity to speak to Storj staff directly. The next one is next week. We invite you to attend and/or post your questions in this forum thread.

6 Likes

I have to admit, the price drop is a little bigger than I anticipated, but it’s still okay for me, I explain.

1. For me being an SNO’s is more of a hobby than a source of income.
  2. Electricity costs… I am lucky to have access to cheap electricity. In addition, I have to heat during the winter, and for me, if this heat comes from a hard drive or an electric heater, it’s the same thing. So, 6 months a year, I can consider that running my node is “free” regarding electricity.
  3. Decentralization… I think this price drop will help a lot because I feel like a few “people” are running a lot of nodes using VPNs to get around the /24 limitation.
5 Likes

it is impossible to get more traffic with HDD.
Necessary use of SSD, which in turn further increases the accumulated costs

For example what Sia tried to prevent: That nodes advertise cheap prices to lure customer into contracts and then increase prices for download. So if a customer uploads data future downloads prices would need to be fixed and enforced.

However I must admit that generally the idea of a marketplace where you can set your prices as SNO is appealing.

2 Likes

Most SNOs here to make money. My goal 1,5-2,5k a month. that i can spend 500$ a month for repear/upgrade. pay for internet/ electricity, taxes. with new prices it is very hard to achive this state almost imposible.

5 Likes

(post deleted by author)
(don’t want to participate in this discussion because posts are deleted without notice)

Long time SNO for just 1 node here (16.8TB used). I started it for fun back in the day when you would receive individual monthly payments from each satellite and there was no minimum for payout. I remember getting my first payout for $0.003 and thinking if I could get to $1/day it would be ‘worth it’.
My node runs on existing hardware so it’s hard for me to quantify the ongoing running cost. If I was running a node just for Storj then I would be in the same boat as others… wondering whether it’s worth continuing. As it is I’ve always had free space available and have continued to expand so my node always has free space. Last month I had a payout of just over $42.
I don’t have a definitive answer on if or when I would GE but everyone has a line somewhere in the sand.

3 Likes

I am happy with the proposed payments. I’ll keep with it down to $0.50 per TB per month and then below that it’s run until fail support only

4 Likes

Isn’t the repair process supposed to take some time?
I think that the median healthy pieces can’t jump instantly like that.