Updated Firewall Issue

ok im out of ideas, can you describe the hardware and in wich is pfsense installed?

does it have logs to check if an incoming signal is blocked?

Yea, it has logs for all blocked connections, but I don’t know what I am looking for, and don’t want to just randomly add All firewall rules. I suspected this was the issue, since I have other services up and running with port forwarding.

maybe you can get some hints in this post

1 Like

on Pfsense Nat has two parts to setup, I can see you have done the NAT configuration which looks correct, however by default the NAT will create firewall rules as well on (in your case the WAN) interface, which have a habit of being in the wrong order, usually behind any blocks or rejects.

Check your firewall rules on the WAN, and make sure the NAT auto created rules are at the top, you can drag and drop, then select SAVE and then apply…

Also…

Are you terminating your WAN on pfsense ? or do you have a router infront ?

If you have a router infront, then there is more to do - you will need to setup a DMZ IP forwarder on the router to the WAN ip address on pfsense.

Check the menu → statuses - > interface and look at the IP address for the WAN.

does it begin with (10. or 192. or 172.) or is it your real Public IP (no need to post that)

= Also, it looks like you are trying to run two nodes;

Node 1 on port 28967
Node 2 on port 20988

on Node 1’s docker, you will need to ensure you map UDP, and you redirect the UI to 14002

-p 28967:28967
-p 28967:28967/udp
-p 14002:14002
-e ADDRESS=“Public IP DDNS Name:28967”

on Node 2’s docker, you will need UDP again, and UI on 14003

-p 20988:28967
-p 20988:28967/udp
-p 14003:14002
-e ADDRESS=“Public IP DDNS Name:20988”

= Debug the connections using Menu → diagnostics → states

put your NAT port in “filter Expression” so 28967 or 20988 and select filter - this will give you a list of connections - your looking for Established = good, if you have any in WAIT or 0 or TIMEOUT then there’s something else wrong - make sure the TrueNas has the IP address of the LAN on PFsense as it’s default gateway.

CP

1 Like

Wow, ok, I’m going to have to take some time to work through this later today. Thank you for such a comprehensive reply regarding pfSense. I was already suspicious of the auto created rules, so I’ll take a look. I’m sure I’ll be back later, after I have worked through this.

I think it has to do with the -network parameter for docker at the end of the post somehow.

And i want to thank @CutieePie, who arrived for help in the right moment. :mage:

1 Like

Well, you have to get some knowledge in Docker commands & config.yaml. It’ll help much in the future. Bugs always happen…

I plan to learn docker well. I study almost everyday manically for numerous hours–there’s just so much to learn in this sphere!

Coincidentally, I solved the issue: I was blocking external DNS on pfSense, while having DNS set in TrueNAS to quad9. Switched that to pfSense and Storj immediately worked.

Thanks, everyone, for all the suggestions and guidance!

3 Likes