Updating Storage Node’s Available Space?

Hi there! I’m a relatively new node operator and have a question. When I first started my node (I’m using Docker and the recommended install setup), I specified that the STORAGE variable was 9TB. This worked with no issues, and I can see that my Node dashboard reports 9TB of available space, etc.

The problem I’m having is that when I attempt to change this 9TB value in the STORAGE environment variable (and restart my docker container), it appears the Node never picks up the changes and still thinks only 9TB are available.

I checked in my underlying filesystem in the data/config.yml file, and saw that the file still had the old 9TB designation so while my Docker container was shut down I manually edited that file to reflect the proper size, but after restarting the container image I still have the same behavior.

Any ideas what I need to change?

I currently only have a 5TB node, It was 4 and I upped it because it was consistently over using the allotted space.

On the node dashboard, under “total disk space” what does it say currently? It may still be consuming more space than you have said is ok, it will take time for the system to offload the storage you are contributing.

Here’s a picture:

As you can see – it shows 9TB of total space. With my update to the Node settings, however, it should show 20TB.

The docker command takes priority over the config file. You must stop the node, remove it and reissue the command to create the node with the new command

docker run -d --restart unless-stopped --stop-timeout 300
-p 28967:28967/tcp
-p 28967:28967/udp
-p 14002:14002
-e WALLET=“xxx”
-e EMAIL=“xxx”
-e ADDRESS=“wan_ip:28967”
-e STORAGE=“20TB
–mount type=bind,source=“/volume1/Storj/Identity/storagenode/”,destination=/app/identity
–mount type=bind,source=“/volume1/Storj/”,destination=/app/config
–name storagenode storjlabs/storagenode:latest
–log.level=error

1 Like

Sounds like you uses some kind of GUI. In this case you need not only stop the container, but also remove it and create again with all your parameters but with the modified parameter for STORAGE.
So I would recommend to use a CLI instead of GUI next time to do not configure all options from the scratch.

You may also check - does your GUI support a docker compose format, so it could be a better replacement.