Upload Accepted Canceled Rate very high

I have a node running on a dual core system, with a 500/100 fiber connection, running on NO-IP DDNS. My node has been up for about 133h42m with 92.60GB bandwidth used and 2.41TB*h disk space used. Egress about 10GBs and Ingress about 83GBs. Just started this week.

My node is located in Malaysia (Borneo) and so far only vetted on the Saltlake satellite . Disk should have no problem, it’s a new external hard disk (1TB) with 750GB allocated, running of a USB3.0 port.

I have noticed that almost ALL of the upload accepted have been cancelled, is that normal? is it something to do with my geographic location?

Hi.

I would guess that your geolocation is what cause cancelled uploads.

Welcome to the forum @iChiillz!

I would suspect this too. USB ports aren’t meant to be used 24/7. You can try using a HDD connected through SATA.

Check this KB

Look for Can I share an external disk drive or other sources?

1 Like

Could be the problem, but I see some other node operators use external disks too. Nevermind, will try to get an internal hard disk soon

I use 2 external HDDs. 1 works absolutely fine since ~july, the other one failed me after a couple month… So you might get lucky or you won’t… :confused:

Its just USB isnt designed for long gevity of running 24/7 you could try to take apart the external hard drive to see if its an sata drive and hook it directly instead of using USB. Most external drives are just normal hard drives which you can use internally as well. Also an issue with USB it likes to go into power savings if its not running constantly.

I’ve been running 8 drives over usb-3 and have no issues for over a year now. If USB is not good for running 24/7 connected equipment then why is everything using USB for connection? I think usb is as good as sata for long operations. It’s just throughput is low and as long as it is enough, it’s as good as sata for all intents and purposes.

Not all usb controllers are created equal for one. You could have a high end motherboard with a good controllers. And you probably have A usb 3.0 port not a usb 2.0 port.

If for example your running on a older system which has only usb 2.0 chances are your only getting 25MB/s or less thoughput, even though your running usb 3.0 external hard drives.

Yeah I think my USB ports are good, could be my location.

The port itself is USB 3.0, which is fairy decent.

Reason I saw you had a dual core cpu so I was thinking it was older which I dont remember motherboards having usb 3.0. So I wasnt sure. Cause I have a old dual core cpu as well and it only supports usb 2.0 so im running sata only.

yeah pretty old system, processor is an i3-3220. Consumes very little power (about 3-10W), perfect for running 24/7. Has USB3.0 but motherboard IO is quite limited.

Yeah I wasnt sure, Have you tested the thoughput on the system to see if it had any thoughput limitations?

Yeah, ethernet could go to a max of just over a gigabit, using the onboard realtek nic, everything’s up to spec except for the PCIE slots sadly, gen2

Yeah I have a similar speced PC running my node, I think yours is a bit newer though. But seems to run 2 nodes just fine though, It could just be location of your node.

Sadly, but I’m closer to Asia Satellite, yet getting more traffic from the Saltlake Satellite. Weird

Saltlake is the new test sattelite so most data is thru that sat

It depends on customer use. There may not be that many customers in the Asia satellite yet.

Agree with this statement. As of this month so far, the Asia sat has the least amount of bandwidth used for my node (located in USA). As discussed and explained in many other threads, the geolocation will end up playing a big part in node usage.

See image below for my node bandwidth usage for this month by satellite:
Annotation 2020-03-15 142221

Also, there was a short discussion on type of drive connection type and type of drive in this other thread and ultimately the USB 3.0 vs SATA difference is negligible at best on that basis alone, but there are many potential bottle neck points in the data paths.

In almost all cases it’s location, unless you are doing something really funky. Latency of USB is nothing compared to the latency of the network connection between you and a client.