Using SSD for cache on Synology NAS

Same here, also activated the ‘skip sequential I/O’… so far I have them running since 6 months, no issue (see specs below).

1 Like

That was checked by default but thanks for pointing it out. I just verified it. I know that the XS series don’t support SHR so maybe that is the issue? I have a 2419+ with SHR2.

They definitely support SSD Cache. And eehm, they also kind of support SHR. I migrated my SHR2 array from a DS2415+ unit to this one after the old unit failed. That works just fine, because SHR is disabled by a software switch. That’s a really roundabout way to get SHR though. There is a much simpler one. Just edit the settings file.

But I doubt the 2 are related since SSD cache doesn’t rely on SHR.

Got a promising response from Synology in case anyone else is interested.

I’ve checked the compatibility issue with our product manager when using E10M20-T1 with DS3617xs, it is currently not supported yet because of the Linux kernel version.
However, fortunately, when the official DSM 7.0 is released, the DS3617xs Linux kernel version will also be upgraded, and it will then support to use E10M20-T1.
Please kindly wait for the future publish of the DSM7.0, and we’re sorry for the current inconvenience.
We’re not able to give you an accurate time&date when the official DSM 7.0 will be published since it’s still under preview stage.
We expect the public release will be fallen roughly into the end of 2020 or the first half of 2021.
If you want to have some more accurate information about this feature, please directly contact our PM team for better understanding by submitting the product inquiry:
Feature Inquiry | Synology Inc.

So that’s good news. I’m not in a rush anyway, since my network is still all 1gbit and my sata SSD cache is fine for now, but it’s good to know I will have this option in the future! It’ll also give me 2 additional slots for HDD’s if I remove the sata SSD cache. So @ryan thanks for pointing me to this card. :slight_smile:

Excellent news! I’m really looking forward to DSM 7 although it’s waaaay late at this point. It was supposed to be released in 2019. So far the card is doing very nicely.

1 Like