Very low incoming traffic

Hi guys,
are you experiencing in the last weeks very low incoming traffic ?
I have 5 differents node and I moved from 30-40mbit substained with peaks over 60mbit to 10mbit with peaks of 25mbit.
There is nothing bad on my 5 nodes , running on different servers with different IPs. It seems that there is really no ingress traffic.
Are you experiencing the same ?

Thanks

2 Likes

Same with all of us.

Getting lower every day… :face_holding_back_tears:

yeah traffic go south and south… Anyone at Storj wants to give us some info about this? @Alexey Thank you.

1 Like

Это такой тонкий намёк от Storj “пора отключать узлы”

my node seem okay…

Looks normal to me… Less your 2 versions behind then maybe your not getting traffic. Or node is full.

3 Likes

Hello,
are you replying to me ?
What do you mean with 2 version behind ? Why do you think I’m running older version ?
My nodes are not full

thanks

He is probably mocking you or has one small node that gets low traffic anytime. All my 9 nodes get low traffic last three days.

Im not mocking anyone im looking at my nodes and they look normal the ingress we had before was not normal. Now the nodes are normal.

4 Likes

Last three days the ingress is twice as low as normal. I dont mention the abnormal times where it was 90-100Gb ingress per node a day. The result we all saw in the trash.

Customers are random just because its lower doesnt mean anything is wrong…More nodes online means less over all ingress more nodes that finished vetting means less ingress for everyone.

3 Likes

Hello,
what do you mean that the past traffic was not normal ? Do you mean something like test traffic ?
In any case my traffic is more or less divided 5 , so -80%. I have attached the last 24hour graph and you can see an average of 2mbit (10mbit on 5 differents node/IP), before was between 8 to 12mbit per node.

Thanks

All I can tell you is as long as your getting ingress its normal, if its alot or a little as long as you get ingress its normal. The ingress you saw could have been unnormal because of some users taking advantage of the free accounts which increased the amount of ingress.

Which storj has cleaned up a bunch of peoples free accounts which have been used wrongly. The ingress now is lower but its not extreme which there is still ingress.

3 Likes

Same here.
In March the nodes received between 75 and 100 Mb/s.
In the beginning of April 100 to 150 Mb/s.
At April 17th the traffic dropped back to 50 Mb/s and declining.
On April 13th the repair traffic went up significantly until May 16th.

To me it also appears to be not random changes.

Traffic since March:

Repair traffic since March:

Customer uploads into the system will vary. We did stop the free tier abuse that was happening, which caused a decline in ingress for all node operators. As more nodes come online, the data is spread out more, so nodes will receive less data. If you consider how many nodes are online, and how much data is added daily, it’s a lot. We would like there to be more, and we’re always working to add new customers to Storj. But it is up to the customers themselves on when and how much they upload. That isn’t something controlled by Storj Labs.

9 Likes

@nyancodex @pdeline06
We can control only usage from test satellites, but not what is doing by the customers.
Please try to understand - the traffic is going directly between your nodes and the customers, not via satellite. The satellite here is an address book, auditor, repair and payment processor.

The only exception when the customers uses Storj-hosted S3-Compatible Gateway, however, even then the traffic comes from/to the customers anyway.

2 Likes

I think we all know that. But it seems that now that the fraudulent accounts have been blocked and the remaining traffic seems to be trickling, the focus on customer growth takes on much greater importance.

Yes, it could be. However I also see an increase in number of nodes, so even if that’s the reason, the ingress now spreads across more nodes than 2 months ago.