Watchtower did not update the node (it's ended 2 versions behind the current release)

@littleskunk , is it possible for an email to be sent to Storage Node Operators when a new release is done so those that don’t want to wait for Watchtower can see the notification and perform the update manually running docker etc?

I don’t frequent this forum as much as I used too and last few updates via watchtower didn’t kick off as I expected in frequency. Today I found my node still running 1.42.3 so stopped watchtower and performed the update manually.

sudo docker stop -t 300 storagenode
sudo docker rm storagenode
sudo docker pull storjlabs/storagenode:latest

If I remember correctly the original intention was to spread out updates with the watchtower to avoid too many nodes updating (and restarting) at the same time.
Given that, I doubt they would consider sending an email when a new version comes out but I’m not a 100% sure.

3 Likes

you can track the releases here, i think some have made scripts for notifications and such when there are new updates released, think @Pentium100 is running one of those.
https://hub.docker.com/r/storjlabs/storagenode/tags?page=1&ordering=last_updated&name=latest

1 Like

/usr/bin/curl -s https://version.storj.io | jq .processes.storagenode.minimum.version
When output of that changes, Zabbix sends me an SMS.

1 Like

Please, lets watchtower do its job. You do not need to forcible update your node.
We have deliberately introduced a delay between the moment the new version is published and the update of your node, so as not to shut down the entire network at once.
Your node will update at a random interval of 12 to 72 hours.

Please read my post again, thanks…

1 Like

Then something wrong with the watchtower. Could you please check its logs?

docker logs watchtower

Watchtower can send you an email. You can also configure watchtower to just check but don’t pull the image. It would still send you an email every time.

- --notifications=email
      - --notification-email-from=<your email address>
      - --notification-email-to=<your email address>
      - --notification-email-server=smtp.gmail.com
      - --notification-email-server-port=587
      - --notification-email-server-user=<your email address>
      - --notification-email-server-password=<google app password>
      - --notification-email-delay=60
4 Likes

No errors in the logs just this:

time=“2021-11-12T10:56:10Z” level=info msg=“Waiting for running update to be finished…”
time=“2021-11-18T22:32:53Z” level=info msg=“Waiting for running update to be finished…”
time=“2021-11-18T22:37:49Z” level=info msg=“Waiting for running update to be finished…”
time=“2021-11-22T21:44:49Z” level=info msg=“Waiting for running update to be finished…”
time=“2021-11-25T22:52:38Z” level=info msg=“Waiting for running update to be finished…”
time=“2021-12-08T10:18:55Z” level=info msg=“Waiting for running update to be finished…”
time=“2021-12-21T12:28:55Z” level=info msg=“Waiting for running update to be finished…”

I checked and found my node still running 1.44.1 and watchtower reported above. However 1.45.3 is already available so I manually updated the node again.

Do not do that. It does it’s checks and does not immediately update for a reason. Imagine there is a bug in a newer version and watchtower updates the entire network to it. What happens then? Network goes down. Imagine also all nodes updating as soon as a new version is out. What happens then? Network goes down. So it should update within several days after a newer release is available. STORJ node is a set and forget kind of thing. No need to be statistics junky, either. Think about it. Do less, unless you have a real reason.

2 Likes

Hehe. Watchtower updates quite early.

What you don’t get is that it’s 2 versions behind.

Not really. I get it. Maybe you should read again what @Alexey is talking about.