Watchtower - how does it work?

How does my node gets updated exactly? I have watchtower running:

[root@localhost ~]# docker ps -a
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                        COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS              PORTS                                                  NAMES
8579a64b6469        storjlabs/storagenode:beta   "/entrypoint"            5 days ago          Up 5 days           127.0.0.1:14002->14002/tcp, 0.0.0.0:28967->28967/tcp   storagenode
aa3329521555        storjlabs/watchtower         "/watchtower storageā€¦"   2 months ago        Up 8 days                                                                  watchtower
[root@localhost ~]#

But node is still 1.3.3.

I noticed it before already - it seems that it simply doesnā€™t update automatically.

Watch the below link. Storj updates the Docker beta image approximately 8 days from initial rollout of the new version. Once that image is updated, watchtower will update your node within 72 hours. Watchtower cannot do anything until Storj publishes the updated image.

https://hub.docker.com/r/storjlabs/storagenode/tags?page=1&name=beta

1 Like

Make sure you have updated the watchtower with latest command

From last update, the docker nodes are using rolling updates which could take more than 72 hours to update the node.

1 Like

You and I had discussed this during the 1.3.3 update. The rolling updates part for Docker nodes is accomplished by having Watchtower update nodes on a random interval between 12 and 72 hours after the updated beta Docker image is published. For recent updates, Storj appears to publish the updated Docker image on the 8th day after initial release. So itā€™s absolutely true that it ā€œmay take longer than 72 hoursā€ overall from the SNO perspective.

My goal is to raise awareness of the ability for SNOs to check the status of the published Docker images so that they donā€™t fret over their Watchtower installations over the next few days until Storj actually publishes the updated beta image.

1 Like

4 Likes