Watchtower warning

Hi all!
i’ve just added watchtower to my node on rpi4 and got the following warning:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo docker run -d --restart=always --name watchtower -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock storjlabs/watchtower storagenode watchtower --stop-timeout 300s
WARNING: The requested image’s platform (linux/amd64) does not match the detected host platform (linux/arm/v7) and no specific platform was requested
b163838763e296a8c3fe02a2c3e2de4c874fd85eb9e93bbd37e99bccdd3d2971

It says its running, but can i expect it to update the node correctly even with the warning?
thanks

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo docker ps -a
CONTAINER ID IMAGE COMMAND CREATED STATUS PORTS NAMES
b163838763e2 storjlabs/watchtower “/watchtower storage…” About a minute ago Up About a minute watchtower
5753c86eb530 storjlabs/storagenode:latest “/entrypoint” 10 days ago Up 10 days

Hello @dieseldic,
Welcome to the forum!

You can ignore this warning. The arm64 is suitable for armv7.
But keep an eye on it anyway, when the new docker version would be published. It should update the version in the 12-72 hours after that.

Great, thanks for the prompt reply!

@Alexey Their post said amd64, not arm64. That seems like it shouldn’t be working. I mean, it looks like it is, but it seems weird unless the user has binfmt_misc and qemu-user-static enabled or something.

I don’t think I have anything enabled that wouldn’t be on the storj setup instructions. Fairly new to Linux and the pi’s.
I just don’t want it to have a failed update and end up with my node down

Then I would suggest to check our manifests to support armv7 and do not try to resolve it to amd64

Hi!

So watchtower doesn’t work as expected on Raspbian? Just curious as I’m running a node on it

It does, I have been running nodes on pis for over a year and watchtower has worked.

4 Likes

Same as @dragonhogan here: Been running nodes on a RPi 4B for more than 18 months now, and watchtower has always updated my nodes correctly.

1 Like

Thanks @dragonhogan and @Pac for the answers

1 Like

Hi, I have been using rpi 4 for several years. I’ve never had an issue. I recently got an email saying my node is updating to the latest version. When I tried to update everything manually, I got to the last step and received this error message:

Using default tag: latest
latest: Pulling from storjlabs/watchtower
Digest: sha256:31c0c558ec8adad5cec6cb86320c58018289ca22dafa019c31cd5d6f65f03655
Status: Image is up to date for storjlabs/watchtower:latest
docker.io/storjlabs/watchtower:latest
WARNING: The requested image’s platform (linux/amd64) does not match the detected host platform (linux/arm64/v8) and no specific platform was requested
7b474f852cfa2944bace3ad784a0aaa40b1a442a828dde003ac1a14e0b504022

So, yea. i’m having issues do you find this benign, or is there a configuration that needs to be changed?

Nothing need to be changed. The latest storagenode image contains a self-updating mechanism, now it’s a base image, which got updated only with security updates for the underlying OS and very rare updates to the downloader mechanism.
So, if you run the latest storagenode image, it will update itself to the latest available versions of storagenode and storagenode-updater for your NodeID.

1 Like

So watchtower is not longer needed? As the official docs still say to use it…

2 Likes