What is not open sources on Storj architecture/product?

Hi there!

I saw that Storj has a couple of open sourced repositories at GitHub.

One thing I’d like to know: is there is any part of the whole infrastructure which is not open sourced? If so why and would it be open sourced in the future?

My main question is: could I run my own Storj network if I wanted to? If so, is there any documentation for that?

Thanks!

To run your own network, see: Test network · storj/storj Wiki · GitHub

3 Likes

Hey, @jonatasbaldin all of the code that is technically needed to run your own network is open source. This includes the code for each of the main 3 actors of the network; Satellite, Node, Uplink. You can find most of that code in our main repo on Github (GitHub - storj/storj: Ongoing Storj v3 development. Decentralized cloud object storage that is aff). We do have a couple of private repos for auxiliary tools that we use; for example one of these auxiliary tools makes it easier for us to do Storage Node Payouts.

To your main question; yes you can absolutely run your own network! we don’t have a ton of documentation on running satellites but the link @keleffew posted before is the best starting place. We do have the concept of community ran satellites and we believe that’s going to become much more prominent in the future.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot @brandon and @keleffew :slight_smile:

3 Likes