What to expect?

Hi

This is just a question, nothing else :blush:

Do we expect an increase in traffic in the near future? Or is this the level of traffic we can expect for now?

Best regards
Glenn

1 Like

Storj is used by real customers so you cannot predict any traffic.

I canā€™t find the exact reply by Storj, but they stated that unless they start doing stress testing, the flow of data will basically remain as is. Reason being that should a large customer join and upload a ton of data, they will respond by decreasing the amount of test data to maintain an equilibrium on the network. So no, there wonā€™t be any long term spikes in data increases - not unless a large customer starts uploading en masse at a rate that outstripped Storjā€™s stress testing so that even if Storj turns of the test data tap, the influx will be felt by the SNOā€™s.

That being said, in such a case the older SNOā€™s will simply spin up new nodes to slurp up the extra ingress (and potentially more SNOā€™s hopping on board) so equilibrium will ultimately be reached once moreā€¦

4 Likes
1 Like

In my opinion we are now at the stage where SNOs start to struggle to fill large storage and mainly make gains from repair from other nodes giving up

New nodes will struggle to even pay for electricity use and will not see a payout for 6 months or more

1 Like

Hi

Of course, I work with IT myself, so I donā€™t need predictions, but there is always a pipeline for a business and I was just wondering what to expect from that pipeline in the near future.

Hi

Thanks for the answer, maybe we could get an insight in when Storj is hoping to ā€œbreak evenā€ with the test data and when they expect the customer data to be the main part of the traffic :slight_smile:

Hi

Lets hope this wonā€™t be a problem, but I do see that my two nodes, with about 25,5TB combined, hasnā€™t filled up more than about 2,5TB in 6 months and ainā€™t making more than about 8$ a monthā€¦

that would be quite a predictionā€¦

1 Like

Hi

We can call it whatever we want, but I guess that there is a customer pipeline in Storj, and I was just curious about the short term expectations from Storj.

If itā€™s steady growth or nothing at all, then itā€™s fine anyhow. Iā€™m just curious.

1 Like

Fair point, but what Glenn asks here is more of a financial/business question (in my understanding).
There is a need to divide technical side of question, like, for example, how much more hdd space do i need as an operator, or if I have enough internet bandwidth for near future and business/financial side. Business side would include some statistics on customers inflow, data inflow, geo-location of customers - that is, if that data is collected and if Storj is willing to share it, and if that would not be much of a problem to gather and provide such data for SNOs.
Based on those periodical statistics SNOs could make some predictions for themselves, a basic risk management so to say. In relation to that, Glenn, presumably, asks if someone at storj does such analysis and if they can share?

1 Like

Hi

That was actually a really nice clarification, thank you so much :slight_smile: That is exactly what Iā€™m looking for :slight_smile:

2 Likes