When I create a acces grant for Filezilla via Webbrowser i have to enter my encryption key in the Browser. Is then my password exposed to Storj?

When I create a acces grant for Filezilla via Webbrowser I have to enter my encryption key in the Browser. Is then my password exposed to Storj?

Hi @jensamberg,

If you are using Gateway-MT (multi-tenant) then the short answer is yes. You can see the specifics here - Disclosures - I’ve copied the relevant section:

“In Gateway MT, we use Server Side Encryption (SSE). We do this for ease of use and to support certain S3 use cases where End to End encryption is not supported by S3. However, this means that Storj also is involved in the generation of --and has temporary access to-- your encryption keys when using Gateway MT. We take steps to make this a very secure option, and far more secure than centralized services.”

3 Likes

Also when I use the option CLI?

If you do it in CLI it’s done locally. So no exposure of your encryption passphrase that way.

3 Likes

Ah ok clear. However for that I need to pay for filezilla due to free Filezilla only support Gateway MT, true?

Those are PRO features.

2 Likes

The FileZilla free supports native Storj DCS integration (when you use either access token (continue in CLI) or access grant (continue in browser or generated by uplink locally)).
The FileZilla PRO supports native Storj DCS integration AND S3/S3-compatible connection, include Storj Gateway-MT/Gateway-ST

FileZilla calls integration Storj DCS with API key (access token), satellite URL and password as a deprecated.

3 Likes

@Alexey Ok i got it. However regarding this documentation FileZilla Native Integration - Storj DCS I have to fill in my Encryption Key in a Browser.

Is it possible to generate it via uplink and setup Filezilla via uplink?

Yes, of course.

1. Generate an access token: Create Access Grant in CLI - Storj DCS
  2. Configure either uplink (in the same article) or FileZilla directly:
  • to generate access grant in FileZilla:
    1. Use the Storj (using legacy API key) protocol
    2. Put a satellite URL to the Satellite field
    3. Put an access token to the API key field
    4. Put your secret phrase to the Encryption Passphrase field
  • or setup uplink using the access token as API key first and use uplink to generate an access grant:
    1. uplink share with caveats, it will print out the access grant (or you can use --export-to and specify the file)
    2. Setup the FileZilla with Storj DCS protocol with that access grant: FileZilla Native Integration - Storj DCS

@Alexey Thanks.

this was what I tried to find. No have the feeling not to share anything in the browser

1 Like