Why Germany is a leader but no China and Japan in top 10

Mhmm… hetzner cloud seems rather overpriced for me.

lets take a look at the dedicated hardware
Looking at the serverbörse https://www.hetzner.com/de/sb you would get 6 TB for 29€ monthly

but based on earning calculator you would see revenue at 22.80 usd per month in month 14.

2 Likes

Try Cinnamon. It behaves like Windows. You can even use the same Short Cuts like fore example Win+D.

I am currently somehwere between. I have a headless linux server that runs a bitcoin and ethereum full node in docker. Automatic updates are just easier compared to my windows machine. On top of that I am playing less games the older I get. At some point I will migrate my workstation as well.

5 Likes

there are no “problems” using office suites on Linux: you have WPS office, libre office, open office, collabora, only office and of course google docs.
Gaming is also not a big issue anymore. SteamOS is a Linux.
So the problem is not lack of software, but lack of will to look up information for yourself.

It’s not that simple… That stuff all works great in isolation. But in a world where we still frequently need to exchange documents with other people who all use MS Office, there are still complications unfortunately.

1 Like

I gave you six options for working with office documents and you still see complications :slightly_smiling_face:.
I forgot to mention office 360 from micro$$oft. All these options make importing, exporting and working with office documents easy. Some of them in a public or private cloud, through a browser. If using a browser is complicated for someone, then that person needs more than just MS office…
Even Microsoft in it’s wisdom started using Linux and contributing to the linux project, yet some of their Windows users can’t see beyond that malware OS…

1 Like

Even MS’s own browser based implementation has compatibility issues. I’m not dissing Linux, I use it for lots of stuff. I’m just saying there are still legitimate downsides. I can’t help that the six alternatives you gave don’t solve all those issues. And I can’t blame people who would just rather avoid running into those issues to begin with. I’m not saying windows is better… I don’t think it is. But the consumer desktop world is built on windows. So for many things it is just the simpler option with less hassle. And yes, that’s for a large part because the rest of the world uses it and not because it’s the better option. But the rest of the world DOES use it.

The exact same thing applied the other way around in mobile OS’s. Windows phone never had market share. So while devs couldn’t avoid iOS and Android, they could easily skip Windows Phone. And as a result with Windows Phone you always had to check whether something was available and would work. With Windows on the desktop, you just always know that consumer oriented software will be available on it, with Linux, you always have to find out if it is. You can’t just dismiss that just because you don’t care about it. Other people do. And it’s why my desktop and gaming systems still run windows, despite preferring a switch to Linux. I just don’t want to deal with the hassle.

5 Likes

Until recently linux even had problems with different monitors of different sizes and resolution. Stuff would look ok on one screen but way too big or small on the other one. I couldn’t work with that. Was a main reason for me to stay on windows and not even use dual-boot because I couldn’t work with that.

Now I stay on windows on my desktop for the occasional gaming and some software but addmittedly, most stuff can be done on linux too.
Everything else in my environment is linux, my homeserver runs linux, multiple pis, etc.

But sometimes it’s the small things that kill linux and make you stay on windows. Might be as easy as needing excel for work files with lots of macros etc.

1 Like

Why Germany is a leader but no China and Japan in top 10

1 Like

I think you have to look for the reason in the general attitude towards life.The general German is very concerned about privacy and traditionally very critical of governance. Germany will also be the last country to abolish its cash.

There is far too much fear that the data stored in data centers will be misused. In this country, there is also an increasing shift away from whatsapp (towards Threema, Signal,…). Elections are also held exclusively on paper and not on digital voting machines.

Perhaps one has to look for the root in the DDR-Stasi time. The state, which does bad things with the data entrusted to it and uses it to spy on and lock away the inhabitants or at least push them out of public service.

Far too often, one hears that the data entrusted to the state is handled carefully and that, according to the law, no abuse can take place. Yes, that is true. But that only applies to this government and to the legislation currently in force. Tomorrow, another government will come and overturn the Basic Law (see NSDAP) and then the past promises will be invalid. The data, however, will remain.
So maybe it is this repeated history in Germany that leads us to be very sensitive with our data and not to entrust it to a large corporation or the state (Europe is currently working on Gaia X).

But maybe it’s just a special affinity for technology.

Why Russia is so popular may also be due to the reasons mentioned above. No trust in the state when it comes to data. The cry for a global, uncontrolled solution.

China, on the other hand, is doing it very cleverly. The state sucks up a lot of data and uses it to categorize people. On the other hand, it keeps the comfort level very high. So there is not this unconditional will to get away from the state and their puppet corporations. I was in China myself and talked to people there and asked if they didn’t think it was bad that the state was filtering/censoring information. The answer was surprising. “There is also bad information and the state protects me from it”. So why take refuge in your own cloud solution?

What do you guys think?

2 Likes

I honestly think it’s mostly this. Because the rest doesn’t apply nearly on the same level for the Netherlands and despite that it looks like we have the highest node density.

Further more I think the financials also work out better in other areas. That may be the case in parts of Russia for example. Where the payout is quite a bit more valuable compared to local cost levels.

I’m not going to get into a geopolitical discussion here but… you might want to retract that part.

I think you’re right that people in China are used to the tight government control and don’t object to it generally. We often project western ideals on them, but life just works differently there.

You think the affinity for technology is the key? But are the US not also very technological affine? Most IT comes from there.

I’m not going to get into a geopolitical discussion here but… you might want to retract that part.

Sure. You might be right. I was just thinking about their social credit system.

You menthion payout to be more valuable in Russia. How comes?

The majority of the US probably not so much to be honest. The tech affinity is really focused in specific areas of the US. For an international audience, you never really hear about the majority of the US. We just happen to have the most exposure to those tech hubs.

I’m not an expert, but others have mentioned lower salaries and lower cost of living. Since Storj pays out the same no matter where you live, it will have a much bigger impact on your life in areas where the numbers are usually smaller. But for details I’ll leave it to the people who actually live there. It’s not my area of expertise.

3 Likes

but my question is still the same. why stick to hetzner?
i think most storj nodes hosting at hetzner trying to reduce server costs.

https://www.hetzner.com/sb the price for a 6 TB Server is around 28€ while you get after a year a monthly income of 22 usd (around 20€) but y ou have to pay for the server the whole year

so i´m wondering, why are people host a node at hetzner?

I once read in another post about a SNO-guy working there. Maybe he is the one hosting all… :smile:

1 Like

Same here

1 Like

It is the cheapest rental option. If you don’t have a spare server lying around or even space for it, it is the next best thing. If it’s full it returns a profit, over time it will outweight the previous loss to get there.

1 Like

Hetzner raised prices on their dedicated servers, e.g. SX64 was 64 EUR, now is 74 EUR (without VAT); 1 EUR/TB → 1.15 EUR/TB.

I see some comments that it’s because of electricity prices. If so, similar raises should be expected by other local cloud providers.

I also noticed Dreamhost (based in the States) increased pricing recently. Got a grandfathered account for which I paid ~200 USD every two years, now it’s going to be 50% more expensive.

I wonder how will Storj be affected, or position itself against such movements.

You gave 6 options but cannot say if any of these actually works, that’s why you had to give 6 options in the firstplace instead of just giving the one-stop solution that does work in the aforementioned use case.

How about you ask first which one is working best before you complain about not having that information? Libreoffice works great. Go for it :wink:

If you have more questions just write them down.

His answer implied (to me, at least) that he does not use any of the solutions he mentioned.