Why Germany is a leader but no China and Japan in top 10

It is more the other way around. What if he has used all of them and doesn’t know which one would be the best for your use case? I have used 3 out of that list and they all work. I have problems telling which one works best. If you ask me I would say Libreoffice. If you give me more details about your needs I might change my recommendation. So that’s what is happening behind the scenes.

why do you think people hold nodes on hetzner? Ih you have server there, you also use it as gateway for node, to have separate /24 ip for your node. Use VPS only for node is not very profitable, even cheap server 3,5 euri.

1 Like

But I think this is exactly what scares many people off though. They know exactly which option works best on Windows. :slight_smile:

To be honest, I really like linux when it comes to server related stuff. But I never made the switch on desktop. And one of the reasons is literall the first choice you have to make… Which distro? I know rationally that I should just pick one and not overthink it. But I don’t think I’m capable of not overthinking that, lol.
And in the end I also game on my systems and that’s probably the biggest reason I never switched. There is some promising progress with steam and proton though. I’m keeping my eye on it. But until then I scratch my linux itch with my NAS and WSL (and some other small devices).

1 Like

Try out Ubuntu with Cinnamon. You will be impressed. Even Netflix is available in the app store with just a few clicks. You shouldn’t miss testing it :smiley:

I have bought a few UMPCs and installed Linux (Ubuntu + KDE) on them, because the alternative was Windows 10. I like older versions of Windows, but I could not make Windows 7 or 8 run on those devices (not all drivers were compatible).

That’s actually something I was considering. Any recommendations?

GPD makes a few good ones.
GPD microPC is quite convenient to use and has both an ethernet port and a serial port.
I also recently bought the latest “Pocket 3”, though it is more like a small netbook than a UMPC, it needs a rather big pocket compared to the previous ones. However, it has swappable modules, one with a serial port and another with HDMI-in and USB-out, so it can be used as a keyboard+mouse+video controller for another computer (though most servers have VGA instead of HDMI, that would have been more useful).

I also have GPD Win - the first one - it’s more built for games, but can be used for other things and the first Pocket. They both have a joystick-controlled mouse which I don’t really like, but are still useful.

If I could have only one of those, I would probably choose the micro PC for its serial port and smaller size than Pocket 3. It has lower specs, but those are good enough for me, I am not doing anything CPU intensive.

2 Likes

I want to know who has the nodes on the Faroe, Funchal, Victoria, Mauritius, and Canary Islands! Someone has some nodes on Hawaii too, which must be nice.

If I had money to burn I’d see about a trip to Antarctica and set up a node via satellite uplink, if for no other reason but to see that little blue dot on the Storj map!

2 Likes