Will FreeBSD\FreeNAS support be added?

Yes, the storage folder resides inside the config folder by default. Though there is a setting in the config.yaml that I think you should be able to use to change that. I have not tried this though.

# path to store data in
# storage.path: config/storage

Remove the # on the second line if you want to use it of course.

2 Likes

I see, the default is fine with me, I just wasn’t sure that is the data folder, that looks like it’s relative to the internal filesystem structure, I thought we don’t need an abstracted structure now that we’re out of a container? But it’s good to know that this can be separated in theory too.

But how do I specify the rest of the stuff that’s in the Docker run command, i.e. the 3 addresses?

have a look at:

./storagenode setup --help

You can also edit the information in the config.yaml after setup has created it.

I’ve been looking at the binary’s help, yes, but looks like I’ve missed that it actually uses the config file, we usually overrode those with command parameters, thanks.

There are “identity.cert-path” and “identity.key-path” parameters in the config file, are these overridden by the singular parameter “–identity-dir” in the run command, like in Docker versions? I.e. can I enter the three adddresses in the config file and run the binary with the two paths (data + identity) instead of three?

What is supposed to go in “contact.external-address” and “server.address” and what is the difference between them? I entered port in the first one but the second one only contains port with a colon, while the first one was empty. Are you supposed to enter identical address:port in both of these?

Yes.

Here you should specify the external address with port, for example:

contact.external-address: external.address.tld:28967

This address will be used by customers to contact your node.

Here you should specify the local address and port for binding, for example

server.address: :28967

As you can see, I omitted the address, it’s mean 0.0.0.0:28967, i.e. your node will listen on all interfaces. You can specify the address with port of the one interface instead.

2 Likes

I haven’t yet done this myself, but from what I can tell you can setup the node with a single setup command and then run it with a run command.

This should be fairly easy to describe in some short instructions, so it might be a good idea to provide those somewhere. Now the proper way to start it on boot is a bit more tricky, but it would be nice to have some instructions on at least the setup and run steps, especially since those should be universal across OS’s.

Eventually a package install would obviously be preferred. One that guides the user through the setup process and generates an identity automatically if you specify you’re setting up a new node.

2 Likes

I working at this moment on FreeBSD/FreeNAS setup process (and guide too). It should be a solid stable solution, so it will take some time because I not like provide unstable/untested solutions.
Also, I should take care about proper auto update…

2 Likes

Thanks, I think I got it; the server.address is the actual address of the node and the contact.external-address is the address the node sends to others to contact it via, due to NAT.

Is storage2.max-concurrent-requests same as retain.concurrency?
I do not see any storage2 parameters in the new config.

Also what is the server.private-address with port 7778? I don’t find it in new configuration.

And finally, I must be blind, but I don’t find the STORAGE parameter anywhere, neither in command parameters nor in the config file, how do I specify that?
Old config files used to have storage.allocated-disk-space parameter, am I supposed to add that to the config?

no. Please, do not specify neither first nor the second

This is value by default, you can skip it too

yes

Okay I got it to run something, there’s some things that didn’t work but for starters - how do I stop the node? There’s only a run command from what I’ve seen and it seems to run inside of/take over my console session with logs or w/e it’s called.
Is it safe to stop with CTRL + C? What happens if I close the SSH session that I’ve started it through? If it stops it also, is that safe?

This thread is about the FreeBSD binary, so no docker.

CTRL+C should be fine I think. I recommend using screen or tmux to easily be able to run it in a session you can detach from and reattach whenever.

But ideally you would want to install it as a service and make it start on boot. You can Google around a bit for that, but it would require some scripts and config edits.

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Pieces error: filestore error: chmod on FreeBSD

15 posts were merged into an existing topic: Pieces error: filestore error: chmod on FreeBSD

To open Storage Node Dashboard in FreeBSD, do I run the binary with the same parameters as run command, just with ‘run’ swapped with ‘dashboard’?
Running binary.nothing dashboard returns similar or same errors as running the run command with no additional parameters for the first time.

No, just provide the identity and config locations like this.

storagenode dashboard --config-dir /app/config --identity-dir /app/identity

Obviously change the paths to what you use.

Uhm, that’s exactly what I asked. xD
Thanks!

Oh I guess those are the same if you use the binary directly… I was thinking of the docker run command which is quite different. My bad. :wink:

1 Like

Any news regarding this?