Windows licenses

what money? its win 10 /now 11 Pro and was 9.99 on ebay!

From Windows 11 EULA:

2. Installation and Use Rights.
[…]
c. Restrictions. The device manufacturer or installer and Microsoft reserve all rights (such as rights under intellectual property laws) not expressly granted in this agreement and no other rights are licensed to you. For the avoidance of doubt, this license does not give you any right to, and you may not(and you may not permit any other person or entity to):
…
(v) use the software as server softwareor to operate the device as a server, except as permitted under Section 2(d)(iii) below; use the software to offer commercial hosting services

and the exclusion:

(iii) Device connections. You may allow up to 20 other devices to access the software installed on the licensed device solely to use the following software features for personal or internal purposes: file services, print services, Internet information services, and Internet connection sharing and telephony services on the licensed device. You may allow any number of devices to access the software on the licensed device to synchronize data between devices. This subsection does not mean, however, that you have the right to install the software, or use the primary function of the software (other than the features listed in this subsection), on any of these other devices.

A similar clause is in Windows 10 EULA. So, if you are using a regular consumer Windows 11 license, you are sailing the high seas.

1 Like

:rofl:Wait, i will search my eyepatch and play the Sharky Theme in the background. Let’s hope they don’t care. :rofl:

I don’t even know if i have an legaly reselled volume license with different eula :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

So if i make an linux vm/docker in there for the nodes its ok? or does this

count?

I don’t think storage nodes act as “synchronization” software.

If you have a different license, then maybe, you can study the license and share conclusions :wink:

Nobody has time for that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Who reads EULAs? :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Who gives a rotting carrot on what Microsoft says? I used windows since 3.1 in any shape style or form, licensed (~200$), volume licensed (ebay style shop - 5$), unlicensed, cracked, hacked, malware-add-in… :rofl: back to licensed, etc. NEVER had any men in black knocking on my door to ask me why and how I use Microsoft products.

You can run windows without a key

But I want my wallpaper with kitties :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:…
Just jocking. I only use solid black wallpaper. :sunglasses:

This is beside the point. Are you saying you only comply with laws under the threat of enforcement? :-1:

Next, what you do on the personal machine is one thing; but earning money using stolen tools is next level unethical in its egregiousness.

I’m rather disappointed with some comments here and where does the discussion is tilting.

understood that reference

What refference? I state how the colours are reffered to in windows; solid colours are the plain ones, solid black is plain black, no gray.
I hope you don’t think I was saying something else… I just use black because the energy consumption and dispay burning are minimal, and I don’t like to hunt for icons on a multicolored wall.
@arrogantrabbit Unethical? And how would you call Microsoft installing me unwanted apps, displaying adds, installing AI based engines, restarting my machine with open programs, forcing me to upgrade to new versions, constantly trying to reset my settings and impose Bing as defaut, etc etc without my consent? On my licensed Pro version? that I take it as made for businesses, because there are no Server versions anymore? Or am I mistaken?

oh, in windows xp (RIP) if there where problems with the Key, your background turned black wit little writings in the edge. like this…

Download

Ok, it was an unintentional assumption.

What you are doing here is called “whataboutism” and is not a valid argument.

Yes. You are mistaken. Microsoft offers you a license to use their software for a specific purposes in exchange for money. The fact that you don’t like some aspects of software does not give you permission to steal it.

You are however free to stop using it after a trial period: vote with your wallet and get something else.

People engage in Olympic level mental gymnastics to justify stealing software, (“sticking to the man”, “im poor student and this is a billion dollar company”, “its garbage I’m doing them a favor using it sending telemetry”, etc), but in the end, it’s plain old theft, and it harms everyone. If one can’t afford a license — there are plenty of royalty free systems one could use instead.

of course, they syncronisize the distribution of the pieces with the sats.

This is getting out of hand and it’s just pointless. If using a payed windows pro license makes me a thief, than… I won’t bother with this subject anymore. There are funnier things in life to spend time on, than debating the rights of windows users. Stick with your EULAs.

Does it? Is it? How is this pointless? It’s a very important topic that gets soften overlooked.
Some people here may simply be unaware that they are in violation of ToS and it’s important to raise awareness. You may not understand this yet — but intellectual property protection is extremely important and applies equally to everyone.

What do you mean by “won’t bother”? Does it mean you are going to buy a server license, stop hosting services on workstation windows flavors, or just shrug it off and continue violating the ToS because obviously Microsoft won’t go after you specifically and it’s only a crime if convicted?

To put this into perspective — would you also shrug it off and stop being bothered if Microsoft used product of your work without a proper licensing commercially? Or are you going to attempt to sue them out of existence?