Windows to Ubuntu Migration help

I am attempting to migrate my node from WINDOWS to Ubuntu following this guide here:

Can someone tell me what I did wrong with my “rsync” command? I am pretty sure that’s where the error is. The user folder is directly on the C:\

For me it looks like a type, on windows its not /c/ it is more like C:\ for Windows folders you have to use a backslash, that’s maybe why there is “no such file or directory”.

It should be /mnt/c/Users....., not /c/Users/.....
WSL automatically mounts all disks as their letters under /mnt/ folder.
The destination path should be exist. I would recommend to copy your identity to the disk with data, not to your home folder and use this path in the docker run command on the destination system.
Since you likely will use a docker version, you need to copy your data to the storage subfolder, but in docker run command you will use a parent path.
For example, you mounted your disk for data under /mnt/storj, the node will be located in the storagenode1 subfolder, then data should be in /mnt/storj/storagenode1/storage, but in your docker run you will use the path /mnt/storj/storagenode1 (the storage subfolder will be silently added automatically).

1 Like

@Alexey

I have mounted the drive I will be using to store the data /home/randall/storj. Is that a problem?

I have another question. My node is 3.5 GB. It will take days to transfer. The computer the node is on is failing and restarts itself about every hour or so. Therefore, Using the method outlined in the guide will not work because I am not able to restart the data transfer every hour for 4 days.

I think my best bet is to unplug the SATA HDD from the old Windows PC and then plug it into the new Ubuntu PC. Next, I will copy the storj DATA from the old NTFS HDD to a new HDD using a terminal command. The new HDD I’m using is formatted ext4.

Is there anything I should know before I attempt this solution?

orders and identity transferred fine using WSL.

Why would it take days to transfer 3,5GB?

That is such an small and unimportant amount of data, I would not even bother trying to migrate it.

no, it’s up on you. Just setup it as a static mount.

It probably could work, but if not, you will need your Windows PC again. Windows 10 uses extended features on NTFS like deduplication, encryption and compression, which are not supported well under Linux, so you may have issues to read such files.
So, disable compression, encryption and deduplication on the volume before disconnect.

I think @RandallStevens meant 3.5TB

@Alexey

Thank you.

Do you have links on how to disable compression & encryption?

You should apply only to disk with data!

BitLocker:

For files and folder encryption:
How do I remove encryption from a file?
Right-click the encrypted file or folder you want to decrypt > click on Properties > Go to the General tab > click on Advanced > Untick encrypt contents > Ok.

@Alexey

I have made it to the stage where I am now installing docker.

I get an error message when trying to install. Should I install as root user? (sudo su). Or is there another solution

It’s better to finish docker configuration: Post-installation steps for Linux | Docker Documentation, then you will be able to run docker commands without sudo.